Author Topic: surplus rice  (Read 3785 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: surplus rice
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Talking of Rice, i always seem to get slightly sticky basmati?, but the BIRs always seem to come out perfect, how do they do it????
Andy
Hi Andy
The starch in rice converts to sugar in the cooking process,this is the main reason it should be washed and drained in cold water 3 times.
The cheaper grades are starchier hence its worth getting a good grade if rice from an Asian shop
some cooks put the cooked rice in the oven for a while with a damp cloth on top
Hope this is of some help

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 04:27 PM »
Talking of Rice, i always seem to get slightly sticky basmati?, but the BIRs always seem to come out perfect, how do they do it????
Andy

Three points that come to mind straight away is,
1    To much starch left on rice............Rinse more under running cold water before cooking.
2    Overcooking,.......... Cook until Al dente, take a few grains out, break open and look for a tiny white spot in the middle of the grain, this is Al dente,
3    And overcooking while waiting to be served.  ( number 2 will alleviate this problem) 
You could put the rice onto a baking tray and put it in a very low oven to dry out until serving ;)

Les

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Hi

If it is still cokking when I drain the rice I rinse in cold water which stops the cooking process then give it a few mins in the microwave to reheat.

Regards

Barry

Offline gwen

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 06:39 PM »
I never have any left over lol

©2024 Curry Recipes