Author Topic: surplus rice  (Read 3747 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
surplus rice
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Hi All ;)
What do you do with leftover rice ?
I put mine in screw top containers into the fridge, when I fancy a snack I microwave one then add any lime pickle or any Asian pickles m,m,m,m,m,mm,
That way you can judge pickles without other tastes
No waste and great eating ;)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: surplus rice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I freeze it  ;D

Offline paulirving

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:49 PM »
With rice I would only ever cook what is needed, Rice is a very dangerous food stuff to reheat and extremely dangerous to freeze.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:44 AM »
I freeze it  ;D
I always cook 2 portions.  On the rare occasions that both are not used, like SL i freeze. And have been doing this for 20 plus years with no adverse affects providing it is piping hot when reheated, after defrosting naturally in the fridge :D

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51 AM »
With rice I would only ever cook what is needed, Rice is a very dangerous food stuff to reheat and extremely dangerous to freeze.

Cooked rice can become dangerous when left at room temperature for too long. I've never heard of problems with frozen rice. The supermarkets sell loads of products with frozen rice.

Paul

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I am sure most BIRs  reheat rice its not possible to produce biryanis etc instantly also supermarket Chinese and Asian take aways have rice standing for days in the display units

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:27 AM »
I am sure most BIRs  reheat rice its not possible to produce biryanis etc instantly
No restaurant cooks fresh rice to order as it's totally impracticle.  They all reheat it, one way or another.

also supermarket Chinese and Asian take aways have rice standing for days in the display units

:o :o :o My god i hope not ???  The stuff would be absolutely crawling with bacteria and would guarantee a serious bout of food poisoning.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:50 PM »

also supermarket Chinese and Asian take aways have rice standing for days in the display units

:o :o :o My god i hope not ???  The stuff would be absolutely crawling with bacteria and would guarantee a serious bout of food poisoning.
Certainly for at least a day.  You can't fry freshly boiled rice, so it is standard practice in BCRs to fry yesterday's boiled rice to make today's fried rice.

** Phil.

Offline andymac

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Talking of Rice, i always seem to get slightly sticky basmati?, but the BIRs always seem to come out perfect, how do they do it????
Andy

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Talking of Rice, i always seem to get slightly sticky basmati?, but the BIRs always seem to come out perfect, how do they do it????
Andy
Check these threads out Andy and decide which one works best for you.  All three produce good non sticky tasty pilau rice ;D
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6070.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1383.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5992.0

©2024 Curry Recipes