Author Topic: Bengali Chicken Roast  (Read 20339 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bengali Chicken Roast
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Chewytikka,

many thanks for onion clarification - that was how i made it.

i used water and added the milk/lemon dressing at the end.

the only problem going forward is that i need to make a bigger batch (as spec made ~500ml, no meat) - it just about served the 2 of us but i like to drench my rice. i'm thinking x2 on the next go but not sure on a straight x2 of everything. have you made a larger portion. otherwise i'm thinking just to x2 the wet stuff and garnish.

my good lady asked for the chilli to be down a notch on the next go - so will reduce the green chilli down to 1 off.

ps

as an aside this dish answered a question for me. i've just been to a different restaurant (saffron ellesmere port) and the curry was essentially the same as this. the curry puzzled me as i was sure it was not cooked by normal BIR method down to the extract smell. clearly they are making from scratch which is not BIR as most would know but it's top notch curry just the same. thrilled.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 11:26 AM »
this was so good i just had to make it again on Saturday.

things did not go well and i need to revisit my steps. i sort of x2 part of the recipe and cooked it using my norm "all in" at the start method (to test out this "bagar"). the all in method with the lid on stopped the evaporation so i ended up with x3 and there was clearly not enough spice (i wrongly left as spec ie no x2).

anyhow added banana in on the reheat and not bad. some good learning for me - having done some number crunching (that i should have done yesterday) i can see the error in the spicing.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Hi Jerry
Sorry, I really don't know what your doing here mate. :o

My original recipe is for Bengali Chicken Roast
Which is Spiced Deep Fried Chicken on the bone, combined into a Traditional "Dry" Bhuna curry.

This looks like you've cooked some veg and blended into a pureed saucy curry. Where's the Chicken at?

Glad it tasted good, but defoe not my dish ???

a bit confused Chewy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Chewytikka,

the meat in sort of almost any curry is not a must have for me - it's the curry sauce that's no 1. i also tend to get the sauce right 1st in this case being the Bhuna part.

i do intend making it with Bengali chicken once i've got the volume to meet my needs. the taste of the curry is simple brill when made to spec. it's just down to what i'm used to - i have to blend or puree whatever the curry. it's too traditional otherwise.

i'm well pleased and much appreciate you posting the recipe of which the Bhuna part i've really taken too albeit blended.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Hi Jerry
It all becomes clear now  ;) Nice one  ;D
cheers Chewy

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 01:15 PM »
that recipe looks the business . nice one

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Thanks Chewy - only just found this.

It's next on my list!

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I love this recipe and use it when the Mrs is fed up with curry as I can easily seperate the Chicken. That way I don't go over my allotted 1 curry per week ;)

Just as a suggestion I usually precook the chicken by boiling it with spices/ onion before frying. A handy idea I nicked from Jamie Oliver of all people.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Hi Chewy

I gotta say, this looks fabulous and is the sort of dish I crave. I am very much looking forward to trying this and will probably do it at the weekend.

Just a couple of questions if I may please:

I intend to roast the prepared chicken (bone in thighs) in the oven instead of frying and will add the roasting juices as part of the liquid to add to the dish perhaps even de-glazed with a little water. Do you think this will be detrimental to the dish?

You also mention that diluted base can be used, do you choose to use diluted base or simply opt for water?

Edit: Just to clarify, i've just noted also that the recipe says two leg quarters but your pic appears to show only 1 (drumstick and thigh) only. Did you mean 2 chicken pieces or 2 legs quarters?

As an aside, I just watched your video for Nazrul Special, had to chuckle at the amount of times chef said 'this is special'. Any ideas what was in the Coriander Sauce and Naga Pickle Sauce? If you have posted the video on here, my apologies I haven't got to it yet.

Once again thanks for posting this recipe, can't wait!  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:06 PM by Axe »

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Hi Axe
I cook this, the way I was taught and it never fails to impress.
Changing the method will change the dish and it will not be authentic and probably taste different.
We probably all love English Roast Chicken, but its a mile away in flavour of spiced deep fried chicken
and 50% of this dishes being.
The recipe is very primitive and traditional Bengali, I would try it as is.

I usually buy very cheap on the bone Chicken from Aldi = 99p x 2 Leg Quarters.
Only 2 appear in the photo but 4 were cooked.

If I have any base to hand I'd use it watered down, if not just water.
The sauces are on here, sorry haven't the time to look for them.
cheers Chewy ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes