Author Topic: Tikkathon  (Read 4027 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tikkathon
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:36 PM »
I needed to replenish tikka supplies in the freezer  as it

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tikkathon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Tikkatastic!

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Great informative post and pictures, CH. :)

I revisited Blade's tikka last night, replacing the water with 3 tbs yoghurt. Do you add yoghurt to Blade's recipe as some people have, or do you stick with the water? I've tried it both ways and it's great whichever.

I'm very interested in Dip's recipe using a milk and yoghurt mix, if it knocks the edge off the sharpness. I found it a bit overpowering for my tastes when I tried it to spec, too. Can you remember the rough ratio of the milk/yoghurt mix you used?

Cheers
Ian
--

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Great informative post and pictures, CH. :)

I revisited Blade's tikka last night, replacing the water with 3 tbs yoghurt. Do you add yoghurt to Blade's recipe as some people have, or do you stick with the water? I've tried it both ways and it's great whichever.

I'm very interested in Dip's recipe using a milk and yoghurt mix, if it knocks the edge off the sharpness. I found it a bit overpowering for my tastes when I tried it to spec, too. Can you remember the rough ratio of the milk/yoghurt mix you used?

Cheers
Ian
--
Hi Ian S.  No, i've never added yoghurt to Blade's recipe.  Always made it to spec other than the first two or three times i did it.  Didn't have any tikka past but i had some balti paste which somebody else had used and said it worked equally as well.  Somebody has also used tandoori paste.  I think any of the three work well with only a slight difference in taste.  An excellent recipe whichever paste you have to hand :)

I found dips recipe very strong tasting, almost overpowering.  That said it did have a strong tandoori taste to it.  When i made it the other day with my yoghurt/milk mix, it took the edge off it completely and the resultant tandoori/tikka on the bone was succulent and flavoursome but certainly not overpowering.  I need to try this with just plain chicken next but i certianly will use it for tandoori chicken on the bone.
I halved the quantity of yoghurt and replace it with milk.  A 50 /50 split. ;D
Would be interesting to hear others results who adopt this approach.

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Would be interesting to hear others results who adopt this approach.

I'll definitely give it a go in a couple of weeks when I've finished munching my way through Blade's tikka.  :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:02 PM »
The flavour had penetrated the mutton well after only 24 hours. Minimal marinade remaining on the meat after cooking. Unfair to compare with the others as this needs to be done again this time with chicken. Given good flavour penetration on mutton and hardly any marinade residue, this has a lot of potential.   Was very tasty and yes, it was a bit chewy.  Something I need to work on.

I've never had lamb/mutton tikka that wasn't a bit chewy, the cooking time is just too long to break down the fibres. It's interesting how many tikka recipe's state to use yoghurt as is , when one of my local t/a tikka has on the face of it nothing more than a red/orange watery liquid on it. It took me ages to figure that out  :) even after standing staring at tikka on skewers in refrigerated counter for months  ;D Not tried the milk yet, but it cuts the sourness in the Ashoka pakora dip very well. Good to see someone making a weeks worth of tikka in advance  ;D
Regards
ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Think iv'e a fair amount of work to do in the area of mutton tikka ELW.  Unfortunately there simply wasn't time to tackle this one yesterday at Az's.  But the mutton we had was just melt in the mouth :P

An update on the tikka front.  The results are in for Ifindforu's recipe, this time with chicken.  Again I substituted 50% of the yoghurt with milk.  For once I'll let the pictures say it all ;D

Just out from under the grill

All done and ready for the freezer.  Tikka for the month i think after all this cooking ;D

For Blade enthusiasts, this one is a definite winner.  A couple more paste ingredients but these are tempered by the milk yoghurt mixture.  A very lightly spiced smooth tasting portion of juicy soft chicken tikka.  I will definitely be doing this again.  Excellent recipe Terry.  Would recommend you all try it with the milk/yoghurt mix ;D.  Will repeat dips recipe with yoghurt/milk mix on chicken breast at some point when tikka stocks reduce ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes