Author Topic: Base from Zaal Restaurant in Fleet  (Read 38731 times)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Base from Zaal Restaurant in Fleet
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Its bubbling away now i went with blended tin toms

Hi unclebuck, are you using veg ghee?? I'm off to get some later this week to make this base!! :)

W

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 06:34 PM »
all done done and blended, yep veg ghee

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55 PM »
all done done and blended, yep veg ghee
Hey UB
When I made this, I thought it was a bit low on the ghee, to fry things in
Also,I found the base a little bitter
I have made many sweet onion bases
But not this
Please say what you think on these two points
I want to know if something has gone a bit pear shaped, or weather it's what's to be expected
The base had very good aroma, though
Very impressive and a familiar BIR feel to it

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I found the amount of veg ghee ok Pete,

You know i dont think i have ever tasted a raw base gravy before? i mean never does that sound odd? i just assumed it [not this but all] would just taste bland/shite and not important as its just that a base as long the curry was to my liking it got the nod.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 09:49 AM »
F5

should we be using Indian bay leaves for the spiced water, or european as I can't seem to get hold of the Indian ones where I live :'(

W

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53 AM »
F5

should we be using Indian bay leaves for the spiced water, or european as I can't seem to get hold of the Indian ones where I live :'(

W

Hi Whandsy

Az and the head chef repeatedly told us that we must used the Bengali / Indian bay leaves.

Maybe you can combine some other things like pastes or rice and make an on-line order and its associated delivery more viable?

Cheers

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55 AM »
F5

W

Hi Whandsy

Az and the head chef repeatedly told us that we must used the Bengali / Indian bay leaves.

Maybe you can combine some other things like pastes or rice and make an on-line order and its associated delivery more viable?

Cheers

Cheers solarsplace, I need to sort that as I've got the 1st stage sorted at home, waiting for pt2

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Well, I have phase 1 of the Zaal base bubbling merrily away, and my kitchen (and, indeed, house) is suffused with delightfully unsubtle aromas that transport me, in Proustian madeleine fashion, back to those halcyon KD1 days that nearly cost me my marriage.

It's a smell I haven't enjoyed since the KD1 base method was outlawed and its creation declared punishable by divorce and death (though she never clarified which component of the punishment was to come first). The fact that I'm still here tells the rest of the story, but despite the years that have passed since I last made a KD1, I still find myself intrigued about the alchemy that occurs when ginger/garlic paste is boiled, rather than fried. Whatever it is, I can't get enough of it. Mind you, I can't get enough of the fried aroma, either, and, rather gloriously, this base recipe includes both methods.

The only downside is that my good lady will be less than pleased when she gets in from work, as apparently KD1 aromas and cashmere just don't work.

If I'm still alive by this time tomorrow I'll post some results... 

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Hi Gary

That made me chortle I must admit :)

Here is something that may make a few of you ladies and gents jealous - my wife actually made the last 2 batches of Abduls learn to cook base and spice mix for me while I was at work :) - and has just now offered to try and make the Zaal base for me this Monday - happy days!

Regards

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Here is something that may make a few of you ladies and gents jealous -
Regards

Your darn tooting their SS, My Wife can't find the damm cooker ;D Unless it needs cleaning, then she's like a homing missile

Les

©2024 Curry Recipes