Author Topic: Sapna Ginger/Garlic paste  (Read 9958 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Sapna Ginger/Garlic paste
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Hi, does anyone here use the Sapna pre mixed ginger/garlic paste? It doesn't say on the jar, but the ratio of this seems to me to be tipped towards the ginger. Ginger is listed as the first ingredient & it's a completely different thing altogether from my 60/40 Garlic/Ginger paste. Is this maybe why the ready mixed is often described as inferior to the fresh stuff (preservative aside)?:o
After watching the video, I'll be looking to use this for the Zaal stuff, but don't want to make fresh paste if this is good to go, as i have lots left  :-\

Regards
ELW

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sapna Ginger/Garlic paste
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Hi ELW

Just my personal opinion here.

I know it is more hassle to make your own, but it is worth it. I personally believe that the stuff in jars just does not give the same results as G&G you prepared yourself. Besides if you make a big batch and mix in some sunflower oil keep it in a sealed clean container in the fridge it keeps for quite a while. Plus that jar stuff spits like an angry lama when you add it to the pan - can't stand that!

Cheers

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Yes ELW, i use Sapna g/g mix.  It is very convenient to have in the fridge.  Trouble is it kind of discourages you from making the fresh stuff which has got to be better.  As SP say the commercial stuff spits like a demon.
Given that Az uses a 60/40 mix ginger to garlic, just like in Ifindforu's takeaway i now intend to make some up.  As Az said just measure quantities and blend with water and it will keep quite happily in the fridge for a  week or more.  For convenience we can always freeze it :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Hi ELW

Just my personal opinion here.

I know it is more hassle to make your own, but it is worth it. I personally believe that the stuff in jars just does not give the same results as G&G you prepared yourself. Besides if you make a big batch and mix in some sunflower oil keep it in a sealed clean container in the fridge it keeps for quite a while. Plus that jar stuff spits like an angry lama when you add it to the pan - can't stand that!

Cheers
Thanks solarspace, I heard Az mention the ratio as significant & ifindforu has stated this also. Was the Zaal ratio 60/40 ginger?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Yes ELW, i use Sapna g/g mix.  It is very convenient to have in the fridge.  Trouble is it kind of discourages you from making the fresh stuff which has got to be better.  As SP say the commercial stuff spits like a demon.
Given that Az uses a 60/40 mix ginger to garlic, just like in Ifindforu's takeaway i now intend to make some up.  As Az said just measure quantities and blend with water and it will keep quite happily in the fridge for a  week or more.  For convenience we can always freeze it :)
thanks CH, you pipped me to that there, I've got Ashoka 60/40 garlic in the freezer & interms of taste it's like comparing yoghurt & tikka paste to Sapna, two different things completely..I'll be doin the fresh `ginger/g for this new stuff
ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:39 PM »
Yep, i'm heading out to get some fresh ingredients as well.  And i'm going in search of veg ghee too.  Tomorrow will be very interesting. Will be cooking a phall and a madras and trying to put into practice at home what was learnt at Az's.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Hi, does anyone here use the Sapna pre mixed ginger/garlic paste? It doesn't say on the jar, but the ratio of this seems to me to be tipped towards the ginger. Ginger is listed as the first ingredient & it's a completely different thing altogether from my 60/40 Garlic/Ginger paste. Is this maybe why the ready mixed is often described as inferior to the fresh stuff (preservative aside)?:o
After watching the video, I'll be looking to use this for the Zaal stuff, but don't want to make fresh paste if this is good to go, as i have lots left  :-\

Regards
ELW
[/quote
the problem with jar type is that it has citric acid in it which gives a bitter sour effect

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Excelent curry hell WATER AND OIL. I flatten it in a freezer bag freeze it and then cut off some pieces when needed i asked why the ratio of 2 times ginger to one of garlic,and he said ginger is a spice,garlic is a vegetable he uses another mix for
frying the food which  is nearly all garlic and small piece of ginger again can be frozen he tells me to use white garlic not the one that looks purple

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Excelent curry hell WATER AND OIL. I flatten it in a freezer bag freeze it and then cut off some pieces when needed i asked why the ratio of 2 times ginger to one of garlic,and he said ginger is a spice,garlic is a vegetable he uses another mix for
frying the food which  is nearly all garlic and small piece of ginger again can be frozen he tells me to use white garlic not the one that looks purple
Cheers for that Ifindforu.  I'll be doing that shortly.  Az gave the reason for more ginger was because the garlic has a much stronger taste and would overwelm so less needed to be used

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:53 PM »
Can't really argue with what Az says, but is it just me that thinks ginger is actually stronger in taste than garlic?

Maybe it is where the stuff comes from, as I guess most of us get our GnG fom the supermarket. :-\

Plus I prefer my curries to be more garlicky, like I believe they were in the old days,

Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes