Author Topic: Vegetable ghee warning  (Read 10378 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Vegetable ghee warning
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:01 PM »
So it was veg ghee then,I take it Az uses butter ghee for something then?? Maybe brushing naan breads???  Was it veg ghee that went into the massla paste and gravy then??? 

Was definitely vege ghee into the masala paste.

Rather than put a damper on all the enthusiasm within the cooking lesson thread, I thought I'd start a new thread here.

Be careful if using vegetable ghee. It's risky stuff:

"Indian restaurants and some households may use hydrogenated vegetable oil (also known as vanaspati, dalda, or "vegetable ghee") in place of ghee because of its lower cost. This "vegetable ghee" may contain trans fat. Trans fats are increasingly linked to serious chronic health conditions..."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable ghee warning
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32 PM »
"Indian restaurants and some households may use hydrogenated vegetable oil (also known as vanaspati, dalda, or "vegetable ghee") in place of ghee because of its lower cost. This "vegetable ghee" may contain trans fat. Trans fats are increasingly linked to serious chronic health conditions..."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee
But do please bear in mind that Wikipaedia is a Wiki, not an Encyclopaedia.  The same article states "In France it is called beurre noisette due to its nutty flavor", which suggests that the author(s) has/have never experienced both.

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56 PM »
The pro's and cons of the use of vege ghee vs butter ghee have been discussed in a couple of threads already on the forum. See the roshney chicken thread which you contributed to George. Whatever oil we use won't be healthy unless you want your dish tainted with coconut :o
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:21 PM by curryhell »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:15 PM »
I have to agree with George regarding vegetable ghee. It really is nasty stuff due to the hydrogenated and trans fats which are far worse than saturated fat for your heart and arteries.

If you like the ghee taste I would mix a couple of teaspoons of quality butter ghee with whatever vegetable oil you normally use. I do this myself sometimes and for some dishes I use pure butter ghee.

http://begumskitchen.com/GoodGhee.aspx

I don't mean to be a party pooper but there is really no question that veg ghee is bad news.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:21 PM »
I have to agree with George regarding vegetable ghee. It really is nasty stuff due to the hydrogenated and trans fats which are far worse than saturated fat for your heart and arteries.

If you like the ghee taste I would mix a couple of teaspoons of quality butter ghee with whatever vegetable oil you normally use. I do this myself sometimes and for some dishes I use pure butter ghee.

http://begumskitchen.com/GoodGhee.aspx

I don't mean to be a party pooper but there is really no question that veg ghee is bad news.

Cheers,

Paul

It's true enough paulp, although I think we should go all in with this, then work back the way. The Glasgow bir's have huge veg ghee buckets in view everywhere, they even marinate chicken & make spiced onions in the tubs once empty! The buckets have Cholesterol Free stamped on them, as it's reputation arrives well ahead of it. I think it features more than may be good for us as well
ELW

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Although Az uses veg ghee in his restaurant I don't think there was any suggestion that it's a vital factor in producing the correct taste and I can't see that there will be a lot of variation in flavour of the final dish whatever oil or ghee was used. Personally I'll carry on using veg oil as I don't fancy veg ghee.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Too much of anything isn't good for you. Everything in moderation. Paulp its there any concrete evidence that this stuff is worse for you than any other standard oil or cooking fat that you are awar ???e of please? I can then attempt to weigh up the risks. I've never cooked with veg ghee. I now have some so I can make a comparison to see if the risk is worthwhile

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36 PM »
I can't see that there will be a lot of variation in flavour of the final dish whatever oil or ghee was used.
Can't agree with you there, Natterjak.  Butter ghee definitely imparts a distinctive flavour to the finished dish, just as do (say) olive oil or mustard oil.  I would agree if you said "you probably can't tell the difference in the final dish between (say) rapeseed oil and rice-bran oil", but they are already fairly close on the taste spectrum -- once you get to the outliers such as butter ghee or olive oil, I believe that they will definitely make their presence known.

** Phil.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I've never cooked with veg ghee. I
Me neither, but I've eaten plenty. I'm not going to deviate from a genuine bir report again until I find out whats crucial., then work back the way if possible. The saturated fat content of coconut is eye watering, even for a Glaswegian

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Hi CH,

There is 100% evidence that hydrogenated veg oil and trans fats are really bad for you.
Governments in the western world are trying to eliminate them from fast food and ready meals by legislation if necessary. I think McDonalds and KFC have managed to eliminate them.

You're right about everything in moderation but cooking and eating an oily curry 3 times a week using this stuff is far from being moderate. Basically any vegetable oil that is solid/waxy at room temperature has been hydrogenated unless it is a tropical plant oil like coconut or palm oil.

I don't want so say anymore as the information is all out there and it sounds negative in light of what you guys have just experienced and I think there will be a leap forward for cr0 in what information you have and will be posting.

For example I've never got that chilli cooking experience whereby you feel like coughing so I now know I have to get to grips with cooking (singeing) my spices better.

I don't think the use of veg ghee will be the deal breaker on what you have learnt.

I would say CH, don't throw away your recent purchase but experiment with that and also with butter ghee and normal veg oil and see how much difference it makes to the final taste.

Cheers,

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes