Author Topic: Vegetable ghee warning  (Read 10376 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable ghee warning
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 11:02 PM »
I'm going to try making my own butter ghee, i.e. clarified butter. I assume that's a lot healthier. I can also make relatively small quantities. On the occasion I've bought tubs of butter ghee from shops, it's quite expensive and the smell goes off before I've used very much, so it's always ended up in the bin.

As for vegetable ghee, it can't be much different to solid margarines which claim to taste quite like butter, whilst not containing any health-threatening elements. Perhaps they're a better alternative. It's difficult to know what a lump of vegetable ghee brings to the party when added to most dishes at Az's restaurant.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:19 PM »
I'm going to try making my own butter ghee, i.e. clarified butter. I assume that's a lot healthier. I can also make relatively small quantities. On the occasion I've bought tubs of butter ghee from shops, it's quite expensive and the smell goes off before I've used very much, so it's always ended up in the bin.

As for vegetable ghee, it can't be much different to solid margarines which claim to taste quite like butter, whilst not containing any health-threatening elements. Perhaps they're a better alternative. It's difficult to know what a lump of vegetable ghee brings to the party when added to most dishes at Az's restaurant.
It could be that it's simply more commercially profitable.I'll do a side by side comparison and see if there's a taste difference in favour of it and whether there is any discernable difference

Offline paulirving

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 06:11 PM »
prefer lard myself ;)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 06:27 PM »
prefer lard myself ;)

Does brilliant chip's, Don't know about curry though ;D
But beef dripping is the best, especially for chips or roast tatties ;)

Les

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Ghee is clarified butter and is very nice used sparingly, its easy and cheap to make,from my experiences Asians prefer anchor butter why ? I don't know
Veg ghee...................commerce ( getting on the band wagon) when there were cholesterol issues
Mustard oil  :o is the big danger (google the safety factors) It is banned in the USA hereand Europe it can only be sold with a label stating "for external use" Noticed it being mentioned here a few times for cooking
For me its butter ghee or veg oil

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 07:25 PM »
About 2 years ago I went to a chippy in Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire. In this place you could buy chips cooked in lard or beef dripping (not sure which now) or vegetable oil. We had the animal fat fried chips and they were absolutely delicious.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 07:30 PM »
I was told a few years ago that butter is better for you, it went against the grain at the time.
It seems to me that the more natural a product is the better it is for our health.

Man made products i,e using electricity to make oil seems to me to be so wrong.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:14 PM by Graeme »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23 PM »
I can't work out the pattern of the use of ghee. Ashoka use it for some dishes at the frying stage & not others according to the report. Kushi if I remember correctly,mix it with veg oil to start off their tikka masala. One thing i'm certain of is thats it features heavily in the Glasgow bir's. The empty buckets are then used for all manner of things. The thing is, I see both, the big metal containers of oil & the big ghee buckets in the same places.

ELW

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I can't work out the pattern of the use of ghee. Ashoka use it for some dishes at the frying stage & not others according to the report. Kushi if I remember correctly,mix it with veg oil to start off their tikka masala. One thing i'm certain of is thats it features heavily in the Glasgow bir's. The empty buckets are then used for all manner of things. The thing is, I see both, the big metal containers of oil & the big ghee buckets in the same places.

Do all your references refer to vegetable ghee?

Ghee (as labelled) is not only clarified butter as mis-stated by noble ox.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 08:34 AM »

Do all your references refer to vegetable ghee?

Ghee (as labelled) is not only clarified butter as mis-stated by noble ox.
Yes George I was referring to vegetable ghee. These are 10kg or maybe even larger plastic tubs, the size of which may give an idea of their application in bir. I've only seen butter ghee in smallish metal tins & every bir kitchen video seems to feature one on the stove top. I would guess that the butter ghee metal containers on the stove, actually contain veg oil or veg ghee, used there purely to keep it warm & ready for use. The butter ghee may be used in smaller quantities, ie brushing naan bread & probably goes for miles. I think trans fats are mainly used for improving the shelf life of perishables, with no nutritional value. As for the health risks, I could Google it all day,I don't think I would take much away from it other than trans fats are linked to certain cancers & heart disease. Glasgow doesn't do moderation  ::)

ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes