Author Topic: White Tower Tomato Paste  (Read 9709 times)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
White Tower Tomato Paste
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:56 AM »
Hi, can anyone tell me where I can buy "white tower tomato paste?".  After making a madras last week my wife told me only what I was thinking which was "it tastes overpowered by tomato paste :( ". I think it would be a wise move to maybe consider trying a different brand as I am currently using any supermarkets own brand.

After reading several threads I have noticed the "white tower being mentioned". Many thanks, Rob.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: White Tower Tomato Paste
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:24 AM »
Hi Rob

Are you watering it down before adding it to your curry?

It should be watered down at least 2 parts water to one of paste, then add whatever your curry recipe requires of this mix.

I use tubes of Lidl tom paste with no problems.

Nowadays though, I generally make a mix of 1 tom paste to 4 of passata, as I think tom puree can be a bit harsh sometimes.

Martin

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Hi Rob

Are you watering it down before adding it to your curry?

It should be watered down at least 2 parts water to one of paste, then add whatever your curry recipe requires of this mix.

I use tubes of Lidl tom paste with no problems.

Nowadays though, I generally make a mix of 1 tom paste to 4 of passata, as I think tom puree can be a bit harsh sometimes.

Martin
Sound advice here.  I've now taken to watering my paste concentrate down to Martin's suggested ratio.  It certainly takes that "sour" edge off the paste.  I may try and dilute 1/4 and see what difference that makes.  The passata thing is interesting.  I've never used the stuff ???

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47 AM »
Hi CCL
I've tried most brands available, over time.

But Marks&Spencer own brand tubes of Italian, are very light and mild tasting
the best I've come across for a long time.

well worth checking out @69p

cheers Chewy

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Sound advice here.  I've now taken to watering my paste concentrate down to Martin's suggested ratio.  It certainly takes that "sour" edge off the paste.  I may try and dilute 1/4 and see what difference that makes.  The passata thing is interesting.  I've never used the stuff ???
Hi CH

As for the Passata, I started using it a while ago instead of blending tomatoes myself for a more traditional version of a butter chicken (I think).
I know it isn't really used in BIR cooking, but I've just stuck with it, and am happy with the results.
I mean it is only the ripe plum toms blended and sieved to get rid of skin and seeds, so not over processed like tom paste/puree.
Plus it's pretty cheap (from lidle again ::)) so I usually make a big tub up mixed with the paste, use what I need and freeze the leftover.

Not sure if it makes a difference in the final dish, maybe you could give it a go sometime, and see what you think.

Cheers
Martin

PS I think 1 to 4 with water may be a little to thin/weak IMHO.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Hi, can anyone tell me where I can buy "white tower tomato paste?".  After making a madras last week my wife told me only what I was thinking which was "it tastes overpowered by tomato paste :( ". I think it would be a wise move to maybe consider trying a different brand as I am currently using any supermarkets own brand.

After reading several threads I have noticed the "white tower being mentioned". Many thanks, Rob.
globals penarth road

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Many thanks guys for your input on this, will try M&S as well as lidls ;). Interesting one with passata will give it a go. 
 The taste I get is after I have watered it down with a ratio of 1 paste to 2 parts water so think it's time to try another brand  :)
Global, not to far from me ifindforu  ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Hi CCL
I've tried most brands available, over time.

But Marks&Spencer own brand tubes of Italian, are very light and mild tasting
the best I've come across for a long time.

well worth checking out @69p

cheers Chewy

Hi Chewy,
Made your base last night and thought I would knock up CA's ctm. Top class base mate  ;) As it has a slight sweetness due to the way the onions are cooked I think I over done the sugar a bit so will adjust accordingly, daughter wants it tonight ::)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 07:00 PM »
PS I think 1 to 4 with water may be a little to thin/weak IMHO

I was using 1/4 Salkim tomato paste for testing on Saturday, to concentrate more on the spices in the hot pan.
using the paste to quench the spices, then gravy, got me the best results. A 2 or 3 in 1 would produce a better flavour imo, if the cooking is right.
I caught a whiff of a local bir aroma the other night (not the fenugreek/methi smell) & it's unmistakable once the hooter's trained.  :)

pan 'roasted' g&g /  hot fused spices & tomato paste  = "the taste"

ELW

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Many thanks guys for your input on this, will try M&S as well as lidls ;). Interesting one with passata will give it a go. 
 The taste I get is after I have watered it down with a ratio of 1 paste to 2 parts water so think it's time to try another brand  :)
Global, not to far from me ifindforu  ;)

Cheers,
Rob
I go there regular they got everything,been to Chillies tonight on Whitchurch road ?9.95 eat as much as you like

©2024 Curry Recipes