Author Topic: Is this the Foker?  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Is this the Foker?
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Now the weather is starting to warm up a little the prospect of returning to the delights of al fresco flambeing is starting to appeal, and inspired by pictures of Solarsplace's 'take no prisoners' approach I was thinking of replacing my knackered old burner with something similar:

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Tripod_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html

With an 8.8 kw output there are no concerns with its power. My only concern is its size. At 35cm wide it may be a little on the large size for a standard (24cm) curry pan.

Anyone here used one of these babies?

Or if it is indeed the same as yours, Solarsplace, maybe you could advise, kind sir?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the Foker?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Hi Gary

The tripod style one in your link is the same as I have.

I am going to replace mine this spring with something like this: http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Square_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html

This is because the supports on the tripod style version are such a large distance apart the only pan you can rest on top is a large wok style pan. Even my large 30cm cast iron frying pan will not rest on top of the supports without sliding off one of the supports and sending its contents flying :(

This means that you cannot easily cook in the same style as a BIR chef such as sliding and banging about your curry pans on the tripod version.

Hope that helps!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Word of warning.
The paint underneath where the pan sits will melt and create toxic fumes as well as marking the base of your pans.
I suggest that you burn or strip this off on the inner parts as shown in red.

Cheers, Frank.  ;)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Hi Gary

The tripod style one in your link is the same as I have.

I am going to replace mine this spring with something like this: http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Square_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html

This is because the supports on the tripod style version are such a large distance apart the only pan you can rest on top is a large wok style pan. Even my large 30cm cast iron frying pan will not rest on top of the supports without sliding off one of the supports and sending its contents flying :(

This means that you cannot easily cook in the same style as a BIR chef such as sliding and banging about your curry pans on the tripod version.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Solarsplace - that's told me all I need to know. In fact I have just ordered the one in the link you supplied - a veritable bargain at the price.

My last burner was a weedy 4kw job, and already the thought of commanding a mighty 8.8kw is causing me to break out in goosebumps of excitement. (I use the word "commanding" in its loosest possible sense...  ;) )

Word of warning.
The paint underneath where the pan sits will melt and create toxic fumes as well as marking the base of your pans.
I suggest that you burn or strip this off on the inner parts as shown in red.

Cheers, Frank.  ;)

Great tip, Frank. Many thanks indeed.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Hi
I use 1 of these for my brewing and outdoor cooking curries etc
If you get 1 make sure you have the correct regulator as the standard 1 which is 37mbr is quite weak for 8.5kw
The paint will need to be burned off
 If you struggle locating a reg I have a contact number

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Hi
If you get 1 make sure you have the correct regulator as the standard 1 which is 37mbr is quite weak for 8.5kw

Thanks for the advice, which I plan to heed well.

I'm looking at this regulator, which seems to fit the bill: http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/LPG_Reca_0-2_Bar_High_Pressure_Butane_Gas_Regulator.html

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the advice, which I plan to heed well.

Thats the 1 you need good luck
I'm looking at this regulator, which seems to fit the bill: http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/LPG_Reca_0-2_Bar_High_Pressure_Butane_Gas_Regulator.html

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Okay, the 8.8kw big boy has arrived (great service from gasproducts.co.uk):

And here it is with my 26cm pan to give an idea of scale:

My long-suffering family and friends can't understand my child-like excitement, but I just can't wait to fire the mother up!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:08 PM »
That's a beauty alright.  Very tempting.  Let us know how you get on with it. Today would have been a superb day to give an outing ;)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Hi SD

Was just thinking about ordering this version too. I believe you have now had a chance to use it. Do you think it is the right tool for the job?

Did you have paint issues and have to implement the solution as kindly suggested by DalPuri?

Thanks

©2024 Curry Recipes