Author Topic: Hello fellow curry lovers  (Read 1932 times)

Offline benbob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello fellow curry lovers
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Hi,

I have been cooking traditional curries for around 15 years now and have always enjoyed the results but have craved that resturant flavour and consistancy. Last year I recevied Kris Dhillon's the curry secret as a gift and havent looked back. After being extremely happy with the currys produced I have started to think that in essence they all taste very similar! Of course this could be down to my method but i'm hoping it's something more, something that I'm missing out on ;)

I hve noticed that a lot of the other recipes for 'base sauce' have far more ingredients than the 1 I use. I appreciate with any cooking, that adding too many flavours can can have an adverse effect but I can also see that finding a happy balance is the name of the game.

I have spent some time looking through the site and have decided that I'm going to try CA's base sauce first as in essence it is the nearest to what I'm used to in many ways and totally different in others  :-\

I also have loads of questions especially regarding the distinctive flavours acheived in certain BIR's dishes that I havent been able to replicate at home.

Like how do you get that deep smokey flavour to Bombay Potatoes? A personal quest of mine that has encompassed buying the most expensive smoked paprika I could find and also (after some advice from my local Curry House) roasting the potatoes rather than par boiling them. Unfortunately neither of these methods have acheived the flavour I crave.

Oh I have so many questions my mind is going to explode.

Ben

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello fellow curry lovers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Hi Benbob,

Welcome to the forum. A lot of people get good results from CA's recipes so it is a good place to start and CA has many well documented recipes on this site.

Personally I don't like the use of smoked paprika in BIR food.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline benbob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Hi Benbob,

Welcome to the forum. A lot of people get good results from CA's recipes so it is a good place to start and CA has many well documented recipes on this site.

Personally I don't like the use of smoked paprika in BIR food.

Cheers,

Paul

lol neither do I Paul but I'll try anything once ;)

Offline benbob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:46 AM »
Well been here less than a week and tonights 'friday' curry menu is coming completely from recipes here :)

I have already made my Pilau rice and chicken Tikka both most excellent :)

Tonight's menu is:

Chicken Tikka Biryani - Tikka from Blade and Biryani from CA's Dipuraja post.
Tarka Dal - also from Blade
Chicken Tikka Bhuna - either CA's or 967bar's not decided yet!

I will be using my current base (as I have several portions in the freezer) which is a variation on Khris Dhillon's. I also add a carrot, half a green pepper and coriander stalks. I will be trying a base from here but as of yet havent decided which 1 and seeing as I have 2/3 weeks of my current base in the freezer I'm in no rush!

I wasnt sure where to post this so I guessed here was as good as anywhere :) I will also post my results later tonight.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Welcome benbob !!    :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Hi benbob

Welcome :)

May I also take the liberty of recommending ChewyTikkas - Tarka Dhal (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5738.0) also. I make this a lot and it is quick, easy & superb.

Please don't let me dissuade you from trying the Blade version. I have made that twice a while back and it was very nice too. Seem to remember having some scaling issues with it though. Even the cut down version making a monster portion - which is not necessarily a bad thing.....

Cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes