Author Topic: Lamb Kalia  (Read 12395 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Kalia
« on: January 16, 2005, 10:09 AM »
OK, I have adapted a Kalia recipe I found on the net to the BIR style, it had all the ingredients in that my local BIR listed on the menu so it may be close. I cooked it last night and it was a great curry but not a perfect copy of my local BIR's Lamb Kalia (my lamb was cooked better though? :) )

Lamb Kalia

Serves 2

Ingredients:

Enough lamb for 2 (200-400g) precooked (I used Waitrose loin fillet, its was the most tender lamb I have ever had but its bloody expensive ?22/Kg)

4 tbsp vegetable oil (preferably spiced from curry gravy)

Grind these up and make a paste with the chilli powder and a little water
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black onion seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp small mustard seeds
? tsp fenugreek seeds

1 tsp chilli powder

3 whole red chillies chopped (the small Thai ones)
1 medium onion chopped
1 heaped tsp of crushed garlic
1 heaped tsp of crushed ginger
1 tomato chopped small

~200ml of curry gravy base (Pete?s base as previously described)
2 tsp sugar

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp salt or to taste
chopped coriander leaves for garnish

Method:

As with all BIR curries you cook on a high heat so it is very important to keep stirring the mixture, the garlic and ginger will burn very easily as will the spice paste.

Bring the oil up to temperature on a high heat, add the onions and stir fry for a couple few minutes.

Add the ginger and garlic and stir fry until the ginger and garlic has gone brown, the onions should also be turning brown at the edges by now.

Add chillies and 1 TBSP of the curry base and stir fry until evaporated.

Add the spice paste and fry for 30 seconds, turn heat down to medium

Add the curry base a few TBSP?s at a time until it?s all in, cook for a minute more

Add the precooked lamb and the sugar and simmer for 5 minutes

Add the lemon juice and coriander, cook for a minute more and serve.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Kalia
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 10:22 AM »
And here's how it looked while cooking

Offline jockman

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 08:15 PM »
That looks superb,  I can almost smell it. yum yum.

jon ;D

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 09:42 AM »

Enough lamb for 2 (200-400g) precooked (I used Waitrose loin fillet, its was the most tender lamb I have ever had but its bloody expensive ?22/Kg)

?22 is more than most farmers get for the whole beast :o

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 10:11 AM »
That looks great,  Ive never really tried making lamb currys but I think I will give it a go.

Mark, I made that Do-Piaza recipe you posted and although it didn't look the part it tasted lovely.

The only thing I did differently was not to put so much yogurt in it.  Batteries were dead in my camera so I didn't get any pictures  :-[    shame really as it looked fantastic when it was finished, I will be making it again so I will next time.

cK

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 01:32 PM »
?22 is more than most farmers get for the whole beast :o
Welcome to Waitrose  ;)

To be fair it was the most tender lamb I have ever tasted and had little or no fat on it

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 01:33 PM »
That looks great,? Ive never really tried making lamb currys but I think I will give it a go.

Mark, I made that Do-Piaza recipe you posted and although it didn't look the part it tasted lovely.

The only thing I did differently was not to put so much yogurt in it.? Batteries were dead in my camera so I didn't get any pictures? :-[? ? shame really as it looked fantastic when it was finished, I will be making it again so I will next time.

cK

Excellent!

Trouble with cooking a lamb curry is finding good cubed lamb at a reasonable price

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 04:37 AM »
                                                                Kalia

Ingredients :

?   Meat 2 lbs
?   Oil 1/2 cup
?   Onion paste 1/4 cup
?   Ginger paste 1 tbsp
?   Garlic paste 2 tsp
?   Turmeric paste 2 tsp
?   Chili paste 1 tsp
?   Cumin paste 2 tsp
?   Coriander paste 2 tbsp
?   Ground pepper 1 tsp
?   Cinnamon 3 - 1" sticks
?   Cardamom 3
?   Bay leaf 1
?   Potatoes 1 lb

Method :

Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes. Mix all the ingredients except potatoes with the meat and half of the oil. Cover the meat with an equal amounts of water and cook under medium heat. When the water has evaporated, stir fry the meat for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, and cut them into large pieces. Fry the potatoes in the rest of the oil until they start turning brown. Add the potatoes to the meat and stir fry them a bit longer, making sure that the potatoes and meat do not start breaking apart. After about 15 minutes, add a bit more water to dissolve the spices that may be sticking to the pot and cook covered in medium heat for another 10-15 minutes. When the potatoes are cooked, keep covered on low heat for another few minutes.

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 11:20 PM »
OK, I have adapted a Kalia recipe I found on the net to the BIR style, it had all the ingredients in that my local BIR listed on the menu so it may be close. I cooked it last night and it was a great curry but not a perfect copy of my local BIR's Lamb Kalia (my lamb was cooked better though  :) )

Grind these up and make a paste with the chilli powder and a little water
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black onion seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp small mustard seeds
? tsp fenugreek seeds

Just a thought....... the spice mixture is very very similar to "panch pharon" which is a mixture of:
fennel, cumin, fenugreek, mustard and nigella, how about giving "panch pharon" ago instead of making your own spice mixture, they sell it in the aisan supermarkets and it's more likley to be used in a restaurant cos they can just buy it off the shelf. It could even be in one of those containers near the cooker that they have the rest of the spices in.

http://www.caterer-online.com/chef/recipedetail.asp?recipeID=301
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 11:40 PM by John »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 07:18 AM »
Good point John, I ve always wondered about the inclusion of certain exotic spices in a Khalia because I cant imagine they would use seperate spices so it must be something like this, cool

©2024 Curry Recipes