Author Topic: Simple Massur Dhal  (Read 25397 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Massur Dhal
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Ok thanks Edwin. I'll give it another try as everyone else seems to rate this recipe. The spices are minimal as you say; I was surprised how little were added to quite a lot of lentils.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 09:04 AM »
I made a batch of Colin's Massur Dhal a couple of days ago and some of used it in preparing tonight's dinner - CA's Chicken Dhansak (minus the pineapple chunks and juice).

First of all, it tastes great in it's own right, and is superb hot with a few poppadums on the side to scoop it up.

I've been using Abdul Mohed's Dhansak recipe up till now, but I have to say that I prefer CA's version of the dish, and it is made even better with Colin's Massur Dhal. The Mohed version calls for the lentils to be boiled with a little turmeric and then smashed, but I definitely prefer the texture and added flavour of Colin's Dhal.

The combination of both recipes make this dish a keeper for me and I'm looking forward to eating the second portion tomorrow night! :)

Hi, Sverige. You'll have seen this post from 2012, but I just thought I'd re-post it for newer members. I've used this recipe several times and can vouch for the frying of the lentils. I've never had a problem with the garlic burning (and I put in garlic well above and beyond the suggested amount!) - maybe I just fry at a lower temperature. I agree with EC about the oil. It's definitely worth another bash.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Thanks Naga, I will try it again and also try making a dhansak with part of the dhal. Cheers.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2018, 10:51 PM »
Hello, I decided to have a go at this recipe today. I made it exactly to spec apart from the bay leaf, I haven't got any Tej Patta so I used some cassia bark instead. I have to say it is delicious! Thanks for the post Colin. Here are some pictures of the dish along with the Chicken Dhansak made with the Dhal.

All the best

Rob

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Looks great, SB! :)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Looks great, SB! :)
Thanks Naga, never made this before but it added an extra layer of flavour to my Dhansak.

All the best,
Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes