Author Topic: Simple Massur Dhal  (Read 25396 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Massur Dhal
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Hi Bob ,

I use elephant garlic ( those large single cloves from China I think ) for my BIR dishes ... I'm not sure if they're a little more tolerant to high heat but err on the side of caution ... it would be a shame to spoil the dish for burning the garlic or as SD suggests above add it as a tarka at the end ...

I love these lentils by the way and cook them often and have found that sometimes the second 0.5 tsp of salt is too much .. taste and see what you think ..  a little extra coriander doesn't hurt either    ;)

I'm looking forward to it and thanks for the advice, I've seen this Elephant garlic in a Chinese store near me, I'll go get some :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:05 PM »
I made this today and have to say I was extremely impressed :)

I did use 2 fresh chilies as I had no dried ones to hand, and I have to admit that I didn't have the courage to add the garlic at the onion stage, but cooked the onions for 2-3 minutes then added the garlic, and I must say I am glad that I did as the garlic was cooked to perfection for my taste. I really don't like brown burnt tasting garlic.

I think this dish has a lot of flavour and one of the reasons for making it is I want to make  Lamb Dhansak tomorrow, so it will be added to this.

I also love the hint of the Panch Poran which kicks in slightly and gives another dimension to this dhal.

Well done for posting this recipe Colin, in my mind it's a winner!! :)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:46 PM »
Made this twice now and i can't keep it long enough to put into a Dhansak as the mrs scoffs it!! :( Well done Colin and your mate!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Made this twice now and i can't keep it long enough to put into a Dhansak as the mrs scoffs it!! :( Well done Colin and your mate!

lol, You'll have to buy her some chocolates and hide the dhal in the back of the fridge whilst you make the Dhansak!!  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Hi Colin,

Could you clarify if the recipe should use Asian or European Bay please?

Thanks in advance,

Malc.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Hi Colin,

Could you clarify if the recipe should use Asian or European Bay please?

Thanks in advance,

Malc.

Hi Malc,

I used Asian Bay leaf today, which is sitting right on top of the final picture as I had forgotten to take it out  :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Hi Bob

Thanks, intend to do the same, but I will say I was convinced you had used European from the pics. Just goes to show eh.

Dish looks great!  :)

Cheers,

Malc.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 05:38 PM »
Looks good! I'm going to try this once I replenish my stock of lentils.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Hi Bob

Thanks, intend to do the same, but I will say I was convinced you had used European from the pics. Just goes to show eh.

Cheers,

Malc.

The packet say's Rajah Asian Bay Leaves, I hope they haven't turned me over!! ;D ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Hi Bob

Cheers,

Malc.

The packet say's Rajah Asian Bay Leaves, I hope they haven't turned me over!! ;D ;D

Rajah bay leaves are European bay, not Asian. At least every packet I've ever seen has been (which is why I've never bought them), and the bay leaves in your photo have a single longitudinal vein, not the 3 veins of Asian bay leaves. Are you really sure the packet states "Asian" bay?

©2024 Curry Recipes