Author Topic: Simple Massur Dhal  (Read 25395 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Massur Dhal
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Rajah bay leaves are European bay, not Asian. At least every packet I've ever seen has been (which is why I've never bought them), and the bay leaves in your photo have a single longitudinal vein, not the 3 veins of Asian bay leaves.

I'm afraid I must agree, and the "Spices of India" web site would appear to confirm this hypothesis :

Bay Leaves - Rajah - 10g
By: Rajah
Ref: ISW002
More: Rajah Ground Spices, Rajah Whole Spices, Rajah Seasonings

10g

'Mediterranean Bay Leaves have a mild and sweet taste with hints of pine and lemon. To use, tear into several large pieces - the torn edge imparts the flavour.

Indian Bay Leaves - Spices of India
By: Spices of India
Ref: ISW129-p
More: Own Label Whole Spices, Own Label Ground Spices

Net weight: 10g

Indian Bay Leaves (Tej Patta) are very different to Mediterranean Bay Leaves. They have a similar but milder fragrance and taste to cinnamon (cassia) bark. Indian Bay Leaves are used mainly in North Indian dishes and Moghul cuisine, in biryanis and garam masala blends.

Produce of India. 

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 08:38 PM »
I also bought a packet of Rajah bay leaves and they were unfortunately European bay leaves.

Paul

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 11:08 PM »
That bay leaf looks about as Asian as i do Bob :o. You've been done mate.  Two totally different animals in look, effect and taste ;).

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 05:46 AM »
When I prepare this I always use ordinary ie not Asian bay leaves but that's not to say it wouldn't taste great with an Asian one ... I may try it next time .

By the way thanks to those who've tried this , I find it so nice especially for a Dhansak where a BIR style tarka dhal doesn't suit IMHO.

'a winner' from 976bar ... praise enough !!   :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25 AM »
I've just had this for lunch.

I didn't have any red lentils, so used moong dhal instead. It just took a little longer to cook, but very tasty indeed.

Thanks for sharing Colin

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 07:33 AM »
Is there a shortage of Asian bay leaves over there? Might have to set up a little business!

I have used moong dhal and red lentils - the moong dhal has a slightly stronger flavour than red lentils

nice though

best, Rich

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Good basic recipe Colin and a good effort Bob, but too dry for me.
English Bay Leaf isn't used at all in Bangladeshi BIR cooking.

Like I've said before Tej Patta is a fundamental ingredient in BIR and Traditional Indian flavours.
If your not using it, your no where near reaching your BIR goal.

I had a new dish in a restaurant last week, Panch Dhal which was excellent.
Basically translated as 5 different types of Dhal, mixed together and seasoned.
Will try and get a recipe for this at some point.

cheers Chewy

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I made a batch of Colin's Massur Dhal a couple of days ago and some of used it in preparing tonight's dinner - CA's Chicken Dhansak (minus the pineapple chunks and juice).

First of all, it tastes great in it's own right, and is superb hot with a few poppadums on the side to scoop it up.

I've been using Abdul Mohed's Dhansak recipe up till now, but I have to say that I prefer CA's version of the dish, and it is made even better with Colin's Massur Dhal. The Mohed version calls for the lentils to be boiled with a little turmeric and then smashed, but I definitely prefer the texture and added flavour of Colin's Dhal.

The combination of both recipes make this dish a keeper for me and I'm looking forward to eating the second portion tomorrow night! :)

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 05:34 AM »
Thanks Naga for teying and reporting back ,

I'm especially pleased you liked it so much   :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 06:21 PM »
WOW  :o :P
I wanted to try a dhansak tonight for a change and needed some dhall obviously. I'd read this thread and seen the good comments and the recipe is simplicity itself.  I don't eat dhall normally, maybe the occasional spoonful of tarka dhall side dish that someone else has ordered. 
I've got to say it tastes fabulous.  Nice bit of heat for me as i added 5 dried exhot chillis.  The simple spicing and the salt really brings out the flavour.  I keep going back for more tasters ::)  I will definitely make this again and perhaps use some of it for tarka dhall, dhansak and have a bowl of it on its own.  MMM, lovely, well impressed non-dhall eater  ;D ;D  Will post a  couple of pics a bit later on.

The dhall underway

the finished article...........YUM

And the resultant dhansak, the first one i've ever eaten.  Recipe as per CBM's little india video but without the tikka  ::)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:18 PM by curryhell »

©2024 Curry Recipes