Author Topic: G'day Poms  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
G'day Poms
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:26 PM »
Hello everyone from sunny Australia.

Although I have chosen Aussie Mick as a username, I am originally from Manchester. I've been "down under" since 1996.

When we first arrived, the standard of restaurant curries was, abysmal......and believe me, that is being kind. It has improved over the years, but after a visit back "home" last year, I realised they still have a long way to go here.

I have been cooking curries at home for about 25 years. I originally followed the Pat Chapman books, but graduated to making base sauces.

Looking forward to learning more from this site. :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: G'day Poms
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Hi Aussie Mick,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place if you want to learn to cook BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curries and side dishes etc.

You are not the only person living "down under" on this site.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Cheers for the welcome Paul.

I've spent an hour or so, perusing the site, and I've already picked up some great tips.

Think I'll stick around. Bedtime here in Oz now, but when I get the chance, i will share some of my worthwhile recipes for all to try.  :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Hi Mick, from one Manc to another, welcome to cr0 mate.

Ray :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Welcome.  Look forward to seeing some of your recipes real soon ;D

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Thanks fellas for the welcomes.

After spending a good few hours on the forum, I think I would feel a bit silly now posting my recipes, as you are all light years ahead of me........or so it seems.

I am gonna stick around if you will allow it, I am ready to learn....and share!! :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:55 PM »
You'd be surprised what one of us takes for granted and expects to be common knowledge, many others don't even think of.  So get posting mate ;D

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Hey Aussie Mick
share and post your recipes - with pictures if possible - nothing better than having a look at the goods
As CH said you may include or do something different where you are that gives the" taste"

best, Rich

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Hey Aussie Mick,

Welcome from another Aussie, the forums great and you will learn a whole lot.

I'm in Brisbane and have been in a number of Indian restaurant kitchens here but it seems that what we Aussie's know as Indian Restaurant curries are quite different to the British style and fall far short from it.

What part of Oz are you in?

Cheers,
Mark

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Thanks again people. When I do get around to cooking something, I'll snap it and post it then, but please don't expect any hidden secrets here.  :o

Hi Mark I'm in Perth. We had a new place open here last year called "The Glasgow Curry house" and we all very excited. It is owned by a Glaswegian Pakistani family, but, als, it is not that great. They do "proper" donner kebas on excellent naan, but the curry dishes are pretty average.  :(

I ordered a chicken Tikka Masala and it was so HOT, it was inedible, you could taste, and see the chilli powder in it. I asked for some yoghurt sauce and was offerd red Glasgow chilli sauce????

We do have a few "decent" restaurants here. One that springs to mind is a place called "Anghiti" Believe it or not, the owners name is "BIR" Singh .  ;)

BTW, just ahd a holiday in Brisbane/Gold Coast, end of Jan.....it never stopped raining....... ???

©2024 Curry Recipes