Author Topic: Your Curry Knowledge  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Your Curry Knowledge
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Last night one of my son's asked me to show him how to make a BIR curry from base to finished dish, Which I thought was a good idea,
Why waste everything I have learned,
 Anyway this got me thinking what the rest of you guy's/girl's will do with your curry know how, Will you pass it on to someone in your family or someone you know, Or will it just disappear, when you go to that great curry house in the sky, ;D, and cr0 is just a memory in cyber space. :o

Les

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Your Curry Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Hi Les,

Despite family and friends enjoying my curries (or so they say) I haven't managed to get anybody else interested enough to try this out. I even made up a curry kit in a box for my brother in law containing instructions and all the spices he would need and measuring spoons but I don't think he ever used it.
Maybe I'll be able to pass the knowledge to my son who is only 6 but he likes spicy food.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Maybe I'll be able to pass the knowledge to my son who is only 6 but he likes spicy food.

Cheers

Paul

That would be nice Paul, He's never to young to start learning ;D
I think what puts a lot of people off is the making of the Base, Even my son's(4) and daughter seems to think that it's long winded and complacated. But as you said they like to eat em ;)

Les

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:55 AM »
My missus reckons she's well and truly curried out and would probably be happy for me to take it to the grave with me hehe ;D ;D

W

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Its a passion making curry you either want to do it or you dont - plenty want to eat it but have no interest how it comes together!!

Its a shame that folks think a curry can only be made by someone of an ethic origin -

best, Rich

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Hi Les,

As my eldest daughter (23) no longer lives with me and being a massive fan of Korma, I have taught her how to make base sauce, spice mix, korma and garlic chilli chicken masala (her partners favourite and one of mine too).

We went and bought all the spices together and she is now fully stocked up on those. It's nice now because when I go to see her I get cooked a curry now instead of chips!!

She now also wants to learn some of the other dishes I make too, so next time I go over there for a weekend I guess we'll be in the kitchen! :)

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Hi Les,

As my eldest daughter (23) no longer lives with me and being a massive fan of Korma, I have taught her how to make base sauce, spice mix, korma and garlic chilli chicken masala (her partners favourite and one of mine too).

We went and bought all the spices together and she is now fully stocked up on those. It's nice now because when I go to see her I get cooked a curry now instead of chips!!

She now also wants to learn some of the other dishes I make too, so next time I go over there for a weekend I guess we'll be in the kitchen! :)

Good on you 976bar
Don't it just make you fell good when one of the family want to learn something that you know,
Your daughter may even pass it on to one of her children in the future, Can't you just hear it now, "My dad taught me how to make this" Priceless mate

Les

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Hi Les,

It is a nice feeling that she has taken such an interest in this and as she and her partner are big fans of Indian Cuisine then I am hoping it will be passed down the line in years to come.

Funny really, in the olden days it was always cakes, now it has moved on big time. I remember my mum used to make home made toffee (and in particular toffee apples does anyone remember them?) also honeycomb :)

And I'll never forget the day when I was a kid and my parents had some friends round and my mum gave the guy some of her home made toffee, which stuck both sets of his false teeth together and he had to prize them apart in the back garden!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:41 PM »
Hi 976bar
Yes I remember my Nan and mum teaching me how to cook and make cakes, and went out with my dad poaching rabbits and pheasants at night (was born on a farm) and yes toffee apples and toffee, Toffee apples from the fair ground always tasted better than mine though ::) (but not as good as Mum's) Scotch Broth was the first dish I ever learned to make ;D And I loved it.

Les

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Ahhh the good old days :)

I used to go poaching with my great Uncle for rabbits and pidgeon, he showed me when I was a kid on how to set up a trap using 4 bricks and some twigs, put some bread inside and they would knock the twig which was supporting the top brick which then fell down and trapped the bird inside, but I can't for the life of me now remember how to build it anymore :(

©2024 Curry Recipes