Author Topic: Your Curry Knowledge  (Read 5668 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Your Curry Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52 PM »

I think what puts a lot of people off is the making of the Base,

Les

Its for this reason why i think all newbies should be put onto CA's simple 2 onion base

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7645.0

For me, it tasted like any other good base and being only 2 onions is a quick no hassle introduction into BIR cooking. None of this "you what!?, i need a sack of onions, an armfull of garlic and ginger, giant pots. nahhh, i dont think i'll bother."

Frank.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:09 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 01:58 PM »
We set wire snares over the rabbit holes, (cruel now when you think of it) and an axe Handel to put them out of their misery :(  Pheasants where easier, a pitch fork was the weapon of choice then, as pheasants roost low in the pine branches all you had to do was spear them :o But, you got to eat in hard times ;D

Les
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:09 PM by Les »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Its for this reason why i think all newbies should be put onto CA's simple base

For me, it tasted like any other good base and being only 2 onions is a quick no hassle introduction into BIR cooking. None of this "you what!?, i need a sack of onions, an armfull of garlic and ginger, giant pots. nahhh, i dont think i'll bother."

Frank.  ;)

Agree 100% Frank,
CA's base was the very first one I tried, Which got me hooked on how easy it was

Les

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 02:11 PM »

I think what puts a lot of people off is the making of the Base,

Les

Its for this reason why i think all newbies should be put onto CA's simple base

Frank.  ;)

I'll second that, Frank, and that's exactly what I do when any friends or family show an interest (though I've been using small versions of my favourite bases, as I hadn't seen CA's until you posted that link. Will give that one a try for def though, as I'm a huge fan of simplicity.)

It's all about getting them hooked and witnessing how simple it all really is, and means that you can say, "Of course, if you want to make up a big quantity you have the option", rather than the other way round and putting them off before they've started.

As for who will continue to carry the curry flame after I've shuffled, well, I'm lucky that everyone in my family is curry crazy. (This is entirely down to my parents, who were early converts to the cause when the first restaurants started opening up in London in the late 50s / early 60s.)

My brother is an excellent exponent of the BIR art, and my two daughters wield a pretty mean chef's spoon, too (insert proud dad smiley)...

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Pheasants are as daft as a Brush!!

The amount of timmes there has been one in the middle of the road and then runs to the side of the road as you approach, then does a complete U turn and runs straight back at the car!! ;D ;D

Lol Dalpuri, I've often wondered how many newbies have thought, I can't be asred with that base sauce milarky!!  ;D

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 02:32 PM »

My brother is an excellent exponent of the BIR art, and my two daughters wield a pretty mean chef's spoon, too (insert proud dad smiley)...

Its a great feeling to put an aching smile onto someones face when you introduce and encourage them  to make these great bir curry recipes  ;D
I have a friend in glasgow who i've been teaching via msn and so far everything she has made has been fantastic!
She just cant stop smiling and laughing at how good it all tastes.. and smells.
I've turned her into a curryholic with cupboards bursting with spices and no room in the freezer.
Yeah, it makes you proud  ;D

Frank.  :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Nice one Frank,

Before we know it we'll have a BIR anonymous for all the addicts!! lol  ;D ;D

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 09:25 PM »
My sister in law uses my Tika Masala recipe to the letter and all her fam cant get enough of it.
4 people at work have asked for the recipe and I know at least 1 has used it.
Last week 4 people asked for my onion bahji recipe after tasting some I took in to work.

Better than all that, the wife is cooking more home made food now rather than doing the freezer to oven style of cooking, she must feel outdone by my skillz ;)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36 PM »
I'll share what little knowledge i have with anybody that want to use it, failing that i'll take it with me to that great BIR in the sky where phall is on the menu everyday and its free ;D ;D

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 11:17 AM »
I gave my eldest daughter a similar curry kit to that mentioned earlier in the thread when she went to uni. I was well chuffed with it because living in Slovakia some of the stuff in there had been hard sought. I also gave her my stick blender  and my favourite old wok ... she's now about to finish her degree and she's never used any of it  :)

Bloody students !! ( said very tongue in cheek because she's worked her arse off .. very proud dad .. shame about the curries though !! ).

I hope at least one of my children will show an interest just so my wife has somewhere to dump the endless equipment , spices and so on when I depart for the BIR in the sky ... not a nice thought for Friday afternoon . What about a cold beer and a vindaloo tonight ? .. that's a nice thought !!   ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes