Author Topic: Korma sauce  (Read 26977 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Korma sauce
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47 AM »
Hi Wickerman,

I have made Korma with a number of bases, including CA's, SNS and Taz's all with great results :)

I think the key to remember here is that Korma is normally a mild dish, so as long as your base sauce isn't ramped up with chillies, then you should be fine using Abdulmoheds.

Let us know how you get on and please post some pictures of your dishes :)

Offline BoneHoney

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:10 PM »
The only thing I do different to this recipe is boil my onions for about 45 minutes, allow them to drain then blender them into a smooth paste. They're the first thing to go into the pan with hot ghee in it. I leave the paste to cook about 5 minutes on high, it kinda looks like an onion pancake at this stage, so that the water can boil off, and then I gently stir it until they're a nice light brown.

Offline Sagwally

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49 AM »
Hi
First time posting after my first curry from this forum..
Fantastic!
I used Chewytikka's base recipe from his great 3 hour video, then this Korma .. Thank you DalPuri.
The only changes were through necessity, as I only had coconut milk not coconut block. And I added a dribble of cream that was left over from Christmas.
I was amazing as good if not better than any Korma I have had in a restaurant
I am inspired...

Sorry the pic is too big.... Guess ill leave it as I have no idea how to resize it....

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 07:33 AM »
@ 976bar.
Hi.
I'm after a good Korma and was also thinking about using CA's Chicken Korma recipe.
Can you tell me if you also use his base gravy with your Korma recipe?
I know it's not always a good idea to mix recipes with different bases,but i still have quite a bit of abdulmohed's gravy left in my freezer,(minus the 6 chillis)and was wondering if that may work,or would i be better making  a batch of  CA's base?

@DalPuri.
Hi.
Your sauce also sounds very good.
Decisions,decisions..

Thanks.

Hi Wickerman,

Sorry, I have only just seen your post and apologise for not having replied sooner.

I have used a number of base sauces over the years, but now seem to stick with Taz's, which amongst other dishes, I still make a korma with. Hope this helps :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Here you go.

Looks very nice. Well done!

Rob  :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Blimey! There's a first. Somebodys tried one of my recipes.   :o

Glad you liked my "grown-ups" Korma, Sagwally. 

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline Sagwally

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Thanks for the photo adjust Rob..... Ill figure it out before I post next time... All the fun of scouring the site.

Frank I say again it was a beaut' thanks, I was attracted to it because of the grated onion, I love the flavours of the Korma but never really like the baby food texture I have personally experienced in BiR' s over the years.

Offline leodis1970

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Coconut powder is definitely the future and an ingredient that I hadn't tried until recently. Very, very cheap and no waste unlike canned cocunut milk. Oddly, local asian shop don't sell it, but got some in the afro-carribean shop next door to them. The benefits of living in a very multicultural area :)

Offline scalexkid

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Milbona Sweetened Condensed milk from Lidl is I have found the route to a BIR style Korma, as the boiled spices in a base sauce (even if fried off first) can be a little 'raw'. I use Mick Crawfords base sauce, but with no tomato at all.

Well hay it works for me, I have no idea of the nutritional values on the side of the cans I used last week in a 12 portion saucepanful i made for my Petanque after-match buffet. No complaints, but then I supplied it FOC, with thigh meat instead of breast, Tandoor style - or as close as I could get with a 250degree max oven.

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 05:14 PM »
976bar,

Is there a specific recipe i could follow for a Kashmiri Chicken Masala please?

Thanks

Jenny

Hi Frank,

What is the calorific content of the carnation you use? I'm just wondering whether it is a suitable replacement for the cream and sugar I use in a Korma?? Looking at it from a more healthier point of view :)

With regards to blending the sauce, I make a Kashmiri Chicken Masala which my son loves, in which I use half a chopped onion as part of the sauce.

Once the sauce has been cooked through and reduced to a thickish consistency, I then throw the lot into a blender and whisk until I get a smooth sauce. This also helps thicken the sauce too,

I then return it to the pot and add the pre-cooked Chicken and warm through thoroughly before serving. If the sauce has become too thick which I kinda like because the flavours are more intense, then I just add a little milk or extra cream to thin it out a bit.

I was just wondering whether you use this kind of practice with your Korma or whether you serve it with the pieces of onion still intact? :)

©2024 Curry Recipes