Author Topic: Can Anyone Please Help Me Idendify This Curry ?  (Read 11101 times)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Can Anyone Please Help Me Idendify This Curry ?
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your wonderful warm welcome (what a Joy to find such a great bunch of fellow Curry lovers)? ;D
I'm reading these forums and I'm totally enjoying every word....... this website is absolutely Fascinating !

Anyway onto business I don't know if this is the right thread but I'll start here and probably have to move because I want to upload a picture of a Curry and I don't think I can do it here ? will someone let me know please.

About 20 miles from where I live is a certain Indian Restaurant/Takeaway they have been established since 1961 and have been featured in the good food guide 1987 and the Taj Good Curry Restaurant Guide 1996,
They are still making their Curry in the same style after all these years and If I go in the afternoon shopping I'll always get a Chicken Vindaloo take away for my supper believe me it's the Best Curry Ive ever had in my life.? :o

I know for a fact that people travel from far and wide for their Curry it is in a phrase " A True Curry house " they are are not really known for Tandoori etc.
I don't know if it's Pakistani or Bengali or what ? when I asked them what's the name for this style of Curry they look at me as if I'm from another Planet !
I'll try and describe it to you until I get a Take Away and Upload a photo of it OK.

It is Very Very dark of a runny consistency and absolutely dripping with oil there is about half inch of very dark oil floating on the surface ( and in the bag by the time I get it home ha ha )

I'm convinced the Chicken is boiled and they Most Definitely use a Base Sauce because it only takes 5 Min's before it's in the carton and I'm leaving the Restaurant so that doesn't give me a lot of time trying to Interrogate them.

Until I can Upload a Photo does anyone have any Ideas what type of Curry it is and is there a Recipe for this Truly Awsome Curry ?

Regards
Layne? ?? ;)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Can Anyone Please Help Me Idendify This Curry ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Hi Layne,

I'm not quite sure what you mean  ???

Do you mean what type\style of curry does this paticular restaurant serve up? 

cK

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Hi Curry King.

Yes in a word do you think it sounds Pakistani or Indian
I asked the waiter where in India they were from and his reply was Bangladesh !
But I'm sure (after catching a glimse) of the chef through their little serving hatch the Chef looks to me like a Pakistani so this would probably determine the style of Curry because in my opinion Indian and Pakistani have completely different styles?do you know what I mean they are after all different Country's arn't they ?
A majority of Takeaways/Restaurants serve either the Yellow or Brown Sauce this is a the darkest Sauce Ive seen like a dark Rusty colour do you know what I mean ?

Regards
Layne? ?;)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:20 PM »
It's probably more down to where in the country you are based as to wether its a Pakistani or Bangladeshi run place, although I think the majority are from Bangladesh.  Determining what style of curry they churn out would be down to the main chef and where\who he learnt his "secrets" from more than anything else like what nationality the restaurant owner is. 

The majority of what you get on a typical BIR menu is not authentic to any particular place except the UK and  the only reason most of them are called Indian restaurants is to appear familiar with what we know!

So to find out what you want to know you should ask the chef but chances are he will tell you nothing  :-X

cK

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 11:21 AM »
does anyone have any Ideas what type of Curry it is and is there a Recipe for this Truly Awsome Curry ?

From what you've descibed, this curry sounds like a 'best of breed' example of the very type of curry this forum was set up to investigate and emulate. There are dozens of recipes here for all the constituent elements, which invariably include base sauce and pre-cooked chicken. These recipes should get you at least "90%" of the way there. Fine tuning any such recipe to get the precise taste of your favorite curry may take some time, and it's what keeps this forum 'in business'.

What is the name of the specific restaurant, please, as it sounds like it would be worth a visit?

Regards
George

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 12:07 PM »
Hi George,

Thank's for your opinion....Yes you are absolutely spot on my friend this Curry is the Mother of all Curry's like I said as soon as I can get into the City I will get a Take away and Upload the photo for you all to see it it's making my mouth water thinking about it !  :P

Anyway the Restaurant/Takeaway in question is

The Lahore Restaurant
Dock Street
Newport
South Wales
Tel 01633 265665

Try searching Google see what it finds
Good Curry Restaurant Guide etc.

Regards
Layne    ;)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:30 PM by laynebritton »

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Hi Layne,  This particular curry, what flavours does it have?  Sweet, sour, hot?  It could be ceylon - does it have a coconutty taste?  Describe what flavours it has and then we may be able to help.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Hi curryqueen,   :)

It could be ceylon

Now that Term rings a bell from many years ago..... most Curry houses in this area only served this type of Sauce that was before the the Mass Exodus of Indians to this country to make their fortune and then of course they decided to boil onions by the sack-load make a base sauce as quick as possible to get the shekels in.

It's only my opinion but the first here were the Pakistanis Not Bengali's that's why I think it's of Pakistani Origin because this type of sauce was all you could get back in the 60's and as Ive said in my earlier thread this particular Restaurant has been established since 1961.

To answer your question (I know I babble on )
The Sauce is Not sweet in any way whatsoever
No Coconut whatsoever
Hot Yes (Even a Mild will put your mouth in Orbit)
It has a Very Very Rich Curry Flavour Very Runny and a Very Very Dark Brown Oily Appearance Phew !   ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:29 PM by laynebritton »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 06:48 AM »
That place is near me, Ill give it a go!

Offline steve e

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 08:26 AM »
Hi All,
Ah The Lahore in newport,recently tried one of their madras sauces, a friend had been for a chicken biriani with madras sauce and bought extra sauce for me to try well,the sauce was extremely dark in colour and had an overwhelming smell and taste of star anise, it was thin in texture and by normal standards very hot in spice content but not unpleasant.there was a large amount of oil floating on the surface which again was dominated by star anise. I wonder wether this
is used in their base or an addition at the final stage, until i try another style dish from there i wont know. will keep you informed,keep questing and good luck
steve e 

©2024 Curry Recipes