Author Topic: Indian masterclass  (Read 8940 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Indian masterclass
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 08:18 PM »
i know they have won curry house of the year at some point

Doesn't nearly every BIR in the UK put up a sticker claiming to have won some award or other? It all seems so fake.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Good point George, reminds me of my holidays in Cornwall.  Always have a chuckle with the Mrs at the award winning pasty shops.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 10:34 PM »
I don't know if it is still the case, but there was certainly a time not all that long ago where the "award" certificates proudly displayed on many BIR walls were, in fact, bought from unscrupulous vendors of the same :(

** Phil.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Still haven't made it to mint and mustard, booked in on Tuesday night.

Anyone else been?

Hi Hcoool!

Do please let us know what you think of Mint & Mustard, I regularly drive by but we've got our favourites, have you tried Ruby's in Station Road, their chicken tikka is amazing. After I complimented the chef on his chicken I was invited into the kitchen to see the charcoal fired tandoor! The very enthusiastic chef told me that the charcoal gives that 'smokey' flavour. Shame that Ruby's never seems that busy, as we find their curries are very good.

All the best, Colette :)

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Sorry for the late report but here is what I thought.

Very expensive and small portions although it was nice but not amazing. I had a seek kebab starter followed by a Syrian beef curry which were 6.95 and 13.95 and it didn't really touch the sides. That was along with a chilli & coriander nan bread and bits of other peoples who I was with.

I won't be going back that's for sure but I had to try it although I'll try Rubys next time.

Be careul if you're driving and order a king Cobra as it's 750ml and is 8% which would probably put you over the limit. My dad who was driving had one and didn't realise it was 8% until I pointed it out.

Amongst the other things I tried was a bit of the bass curry and tandoori chicken which were both nice but not amazing again.

I prefer good old BIR curry and not all this contemporary stuff but it was busy on a Tuesday night so each to their own.

Cheers.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Sorry for the late report but here is what I thought.

Very expensive and small portions although it was nice but not amazing. I had a seek kebab starter followed by a Syrian beef curry which were 6.95 and 13.95 and it didn't really touch the sides. That was along with a chilli & coriander nan bread and bits of other peoples who I was with.

I won't be going back that's for sure but I had to try it although I'll try Rubys next time.

Be careul if you're driving and order a king Cobra as it's 750ml and is 8% which would probably put you over the limit. My dad who was driving had one and didn't realise it was 8% until I pointed it out.

Amongst the other things I tried was a bit of the bass curry and tandoori chicken which were both nice but not amazing again.

I prefer good old BIR curry and not all this contemporary stuff but it was busy on a Tuesday night so each to their own.

Cheers.

Hi Hcool!

Thank you for your thoughts on Mint & Mustard! Seems very, very expensive, for Taunton anyway! Sounds like there wasn't enough food too! At least they sell decent beer!

The Bass Curry? Do you mean Sea Bass?

Do try Ruby's their curries are great!

Cheers :)

Offline GulfExpat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 03:04 PM »
The Mint and Mustard in Cardiff is still good, but when Anand George left to start his own restaurant, The Purple Poppadom, there was a difference.

I still eat at its sister restaurant Chai Street.

Anand George is a brilliant chef. He has cooked the best food I have ever eaten. He is that good.

I wouldn't mind taking a masterclass with him during the summer.

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 04:18 PM »
The only bass in this country comes from the sea, a bass is a bass.  :)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 04:22 PM »
The only bass in this country comes from the sea, a bass is a bass.  :)

Ha ha ha!!! That's my knowledge of fish, a big fat nil! :)

I tried a Mongolian Fish Curry, somewhere in Bristol, put me right off. Prawns IMHO are ok, give me chicken any day!

So what was the bass curry like? Would you cook it?

Cheers, Colette. :)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Wikipedia:
"Bass is a name shared by many different species of popular gamefish. The term encompasses both freshwater and marine species."

©2024 Curry Recipes