Author Topic: The Best Garam Masala I have ever come across!  (Read 6792 times)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
The Best Garam Masala I have ever come across!
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:29 PM »
I followed this recipe http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7864.0 and I am totally impressed, did not have Indian Bay Leaves though, will try to source some.

What I found particularly satisfying about this mix is the amazing fragrance, it gave so much promise of a great curry later on.  ;D

Spices all ready to go into the oven at 200C

Spices out after 3 minutes

Grind in the blender and I have the best Garam Masala ever! I threw out a full jar of bought mix, it did not compare well.

All the best
Colette.  :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Garam Masala I have ever come across!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Hi Colette. Sounds good  ;) you might get better results roasting for longer at a lower temp - when we were at Zaal Az had dried the spices on a low heat overnight and then roasted for a good hour or so on top of that (if I remember correctly). I'm not saying your approach is wrong, but worth trying a low & slow approach next time to compare.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Hi Natterjak!

Well what can I say but bugger and brilliant! Bugger as I did not get the recipe right, and brilliant as it may well be dramatically improved! Thanks for your tip  8)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53 PM »
If you thought that was good wait until you try it with the Asian bay leaves Terramamba. It's even more fragrant. The whole purpose of putting it in the oven was to dry it out and make it easier to grind - Az said. I made some on Fri eve in preparation for making the Zaal mix powder and the base. Get you hands on some if them Asian bay leaves :P :P

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Well I firmly believe there's never only one way to get a good result so there's no reason to think that what you've done is wrong, just maybe worth trying a lower heat and longer to compare results next time.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08 PM »
My spices were in a cool oven for about three hours at 75 degrees C. It seemed to work quite well other than I needed to add more cassia as mine was not as thick as what Az was using so therefore volume wise mine contained less.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Thank you guys! Just checked eBay and there are some (two lots) on there but it does not say Asian, off the the local shop tomorrow then  ;D

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54 PM »
I have also tried the GM recipe, first i didnt roast them and the smell was awesome then i done another batch roasted on high temp, didnt have the same strong fragrant whiff but a toasted smell, think ill slow roast next time

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:01 PM »
I have also tried the GM recipe, first i didnt roast them and the smell was awesome then i done another batch roasted on high temp, didnt have the same strong fragrant whiff but a toasted smell, think ill slow roast next time

I am definitely slow roasting next time  ;D

Much better GM than I have ever tried before  8)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:06 AM »
Talking of dry roasting the spices, which I always do (but in a fry pan), I found this article interesting. :-\

http://www.azeliaskitchen.net/blog/dont-dry-roast-spices/

Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes