Author Topic: Any new results to share?  (Read 12834 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Any new results to share?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Maybe the chef at emin-j's TA was using the reduction method a la Taz?
I know this works as I've managed to produce some great results, even when using bases that don't contain as much oil as the Taz base (i.e. which require the addition of oil to the pan in the beginning).

That said, I've found the slow boat method doesn't produce the same consistency of results as the SFQ (singe-fuse-quench) technique. Sometimes I get a stunning curry, while other times it's merely okay.

This is, of course, 100% down to the skill of the chef, and while I'm a long time practitioner of this dark art, I am in no way a skilled chef...

Hi SD, From memory the Taz method involves adding the spices after the first ladle of base  :-\ At my T/A the base was added after frying the spices.

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 10:52 PM »
Whilst on holiday in January for my birthday we went to an Indian restaurant. I asked if I could watch the chef cooking our meals and he obliged. I took a few photos of him cooking along with  his base sauce. I have just looked back at the photos and of course he is cooking on a large commercial gas stove. Although the flames are not coming up the sides like on some videos the amount of gas being produced from one burner is a great deal more than one gas burner in our homes could produce :( If I could for one minute get my head around how to upload pictures up to this site I would.

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44 AM »
If I could for one minute get my head around how to upload pictures up to this site I would.

Please could you upload the photos to http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/

Then just insert the 'BB' code it gives you into your next post here.

Gary

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 10:40 AM »
SFQ (singe-fuse-quench) technique

Thats the only way I've had any success. but here's still some unsinged spice getting through far too often

Those photos would be great ccl

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 06:47 PM »
SFQ (singe-fuse-quench) technique

That's the only way I've had any success. but here's still some unsinged spice getting through far too often

Those photos would be great ccl
Hi ELW & Gary, I will download them onto the pc over the weekend and attempt what you said Gary.

Cheers,
Rob.

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Result again:

Dopiaza for Mrs:

Small Alu pan, gas on full, one and a bit chefs' spoons of oil in, let it heat - 30 secs at least on my hob, then in with G&G paste, quick shake and scrape - pan sets alight with flame a yard high :) Quickly off heat while pan still flaming! mix powder in, chilli powder in, back on heat; scrape and shake; things starting to brown/borderline burn - then in with dilute Tom puree, shake and scrape, in with methi leaves, then in with raw finely chopped onion, shake and scrape, in with a ladle of base gravy (Chewytikka's but with a small potato added). On with splatter guard and let cook on high for a minute, then in with pre-cooked chicken, quick stir, more gravy then in with a bit of pre-cooked peppers, then in with a good amount of pre-fried/caramelized onion, cut into rings.

Splatter guard back on, then cook on for 7-8 mins on med high, stirring occasionally.

Garnish then serve :)

I feel I'm really getting into the swing of this now; Like I know the pan is gonna flame, I know just when borderline burnt is gonna actually become burnt, and also just how far 'burnt' I can get away with

Resultant curries are becoming very consistent.

Savoury with a sweetness that isn't sugary at all, and a deep spicyness with out any powdery texture.

It's depth of flavour belying its short time in the fry pan.

Proper BIR really.

If you don't get these brief moments in the fry pan right I think all the rest of the stuff is wasted,

Gary :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 11:10 PM »
Another great rundown Gary, I can't get the flambe on my cooker, but full blast gets me results of a sort

If you don't get these brief moments in the fry pan right I think all the rest of the stuff is wasted,

It's become my mantra, the really hot pans in a commercial kitchen are taking care of this with minimum fuss.

ELW

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03 AM »
Proper BIR really.

Great to hear you're getting the desired results Gary.  I love the "scrape and shake".  It goes well the singeing ;D

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Proper BIR really.

Great to hear you're getting the desired results Gary.  I love the "scrape and shake".  It goes well the singeing ;D

I feel a song coming on shake and vac style ! ;D ;)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Proper BIR really.

I feel a song coming on shake and vac style ! ;D ;)

"......it's all you have to do"  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes