Author Topic: Any new results to share?  (Read 12832 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Any new results to share?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 09:56 PM »
I had another go at high speed high heat cooking in my ally pan last night. I made a curry with 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder, 2 tsp ifindforu spice mix and about 500 ml of ifindforu base sauce. I also used 1 tbs tom puree diluted x3 and a teaspoon of hand chopped garlic and some salt and methi.

This technique definitely changes the flavours for the better. Last night I ate half the curry and found the heat of the chilli a bit too much. Previously when not cooked properly I've eaten curries with 3 tsp of same chilli powder and it never seemed very hot.

Also I often wondered how some people were using 1tsp of spice mix when I used to need 1 tbs. I still need to work at this but at least the garlic wasn't destroyed like the first time I tried this last week.

It seems like the way I've been cooking slow boat in my wok for the last 2.5 years I was way off the mark and would never have gotten very close to BIR.

So big thanks to the Fleet 5 and also chewytikka for his useful videos.  :)
Right now I just need to get my quantities back on track i.e. amount of mix powder per curry and total amount of base required. Oh and I've run out of base sauce again.  :(

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Hi PaulP, another great post in reply to this thread.
 Today I bought a Casio 23cm ali pan(5 quid), which in comparison, regarding the thickness of base etc, to the 26cm pan I've been using, is a piece of nonsense. The shape & size of the pan when used on the biggest burner I have however is  significant. Of note **this is a non stick pan**
What I can do with this pan on full heat, is concentrate the heat I have , to the ingredients over a smaller area. On the 26cm I was constantly having gather everything into the middle of the pan. The results I've had today, without sounding like a complete k**b, I would put up against loads of 't/a's', they are my best yet by miles. I've posted before about this, but I think I have found an almost full proof method of creating the bir taste, if the first home attempt fails, which I'll stick up tomorrow

Regards
ELW

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:57 PM by ELW »

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 10:45 PM »
CardiffCurrylad are you having trouble uploading your pictures for this thread

best, Rich

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 11:41 PM »
ELW....looking forward to your results with the smaller pan..and thanks for experimenting.

as you rightly mentioned, in larger diameter pans the heat is spread over a bigger area, whereas on smaller pans the heat is more concentrated.

makes sense when you think about it.

larger pans with medium burner= most heat is centralised in the pan with the outside areas cooler.

smaller pans with medium burner=heat is probably equal throughout entire pan.

I've noticed this while cooking with my larger pan. When adding base sauce I have to add it centrally to get the instant "sccchhhhhhewwwwww" :)

When using my smaller pan, it doesn't matter where I add the base to get the instant "sccchhhhewwwww" :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 11:47 PM »
So mr.mojorisin

does that mean you get more of a  "sccchhhhhhewwwwww" with the bigger pan than a "sccchhhhewwwww" with the smaller pan??

Joking!

I was trying to make the "sccchhhhewwwww"sound when reading

best, Rich

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53 PM »
I can't get the flambe on my cooker, but full blast gets me results of a sort
I don't think the flambe has any real importance, it only happens when I chuck in the G&G - must be the water and the oil.

Looks good though :)

Old story really: I've had many good dishes from open kitchens where there's been no flames at all.

Heat is key though, in those first moments of assembling the dish

Gary

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 11:58 PM »
So mr.mojorisin

does that mean you get more of a  "sccchhhhhhewwwwww" with the bigger pan than a "sccchhhhewwwww" with the smaller pan??

Joking!

best, Rich

lol. sorry Rich

that was my poor attempt at mimicking the noise when the base hits the hot pan

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 12:58 AM »
So mr.mojorisin

Joking!

best, Rich

lol. sorry Rich

that was my poor attempt at mimicking the noise when the base hits the hot pan

I thought it was great this morning - ive just chopped onions for bhajis and then i was sat here making the noise - good job it was early and the wife didnt hear me - she would have thought i was on something

best, Rich

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 01:41 PM »
CardiffCurrylad are you having trouble uploading your pictures for this thread

best, Rich
Hi Rich,
I am mate, I'm sure it can't be that complicated ::) I will pm you what I am doing & maybe you can shine some light on what is going wrong. Once I get it there will be no stopping me lol  ;D

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Razor has a cracking pictorial post showing how to upload pictures

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5333.0

©2024 Curry Recipes