Author Topic: Freezing green peppers?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Freezing green peppers?
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Can anyone shine some light on wheather or not green peppers once chopped can be frozen? I probably like most use this as part of the tarka and as you only need a small amount it seems a shame to throw out the large amount that is left :-\

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing green peppers?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:12 PM »
In my experience they become bitter when frozen roar. However if you fry them and freeze them they seem to be fine. What do others think???

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19 PM »
In my experience they become bitter when frozen roar. However if you fry them and freeze them they seem to be fine. What do others think???
Thanks curryhell, as they are sitting on my kitchen top I will give it a go ;) Got nothing to loose.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I bought a whole frozen bag of chopped mixed peppers on offer from sainsburys a couple of weeks ago, havent noticed a difference cooked, dont think id be as keen to eat raw when thawed out :(

W

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:09 PM »
I'd suggest either cooking them by frying or blanching in boiling water for a couple of minutes before freezing. The latter technique was one we used in a frozen foods factory I worked in one summer. we didn't do peppers but we did do peas, cauli and broccoli and they all got the blanching treatment.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:24 PM »
I have always frozen them raw (chopped/sliced) and haven't had any problems with them.

I wouldn't eat them defrosted raw but do cook/precook them from frozen, usually high heat stir fried I find best.

At home I think it is best to freeze them as quick as possible and from as fresh as possible.
I put a metal tray in the freezer for about half an hour, to cool right down, and then spread the chopped peppers (and whole chillies) onto the tray. Once frozen (doesn't take that long) bag them up.

Martin

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:57 PM »
Raw peppers - we freeze raw - we found that the bitter taste seems to come when reheating cooked peppers from frozen. If you are going to reheat/cook from frozen especially in a microwave the peppers will cook inside especially if microwaved for 3 mins stand a 1 min stirred then microwaved 3 mins.

best, Rich

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27 AM »
Many thanks guys, the advice & tips were of great help & very appreciated ;). As I have already fried them & froze them I will let you know how they appear to be once I require them for the tarka.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:59 AM »
Hi CCL,

I often freeze capsicum; there is no way I'm wasting it!

I simply dice it (quite small, raw, unblanched) and chuck it in a freezer bag for later use.  I have never detected any bitterness from doing so.  The only thing is that, having a high water content, it becomes mushy on defrosting.

So don't count on using it in things like a Jalfrezi where you want the capsicum to retain some "crunch"...cos it won't!  :P

But it's fine to use in things like a base and if adding at the start of a curry.  It would also be fine as part of a tarka (provided you don't want it to be crunchy).

Hope this helps.

©2024 Curry Recipes