Author Topic: My Old Favourite Chicken Tikka Jahl Freizi with singed spices  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Old Favourite Chicken Tikka Jahl Freizi with singed spices
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Hi Colette,

Well, it doesn't seem too much spice if you think that a vindy usually has 4 or more tsp of chilli powder, so I wouldn't think that the quantities that you have used are over the top?

The tikka masala I use is yogurt, Pataks kashmiri, tikka and tandoori paste, tsp each, mix powder, G & G paste, tsp mustard oil, red food colour, I use this to marinate the chicken and add to final dish, near the end of cooking.

Yep, I've heard this done before, I think it's something that Kris Dhillon advocates although I've never done it myself, still, you're adding this towards the end so won't make any difference to the colour in the early stages.

My advice would be;

Use plenty of oil to start with,
Add GG paste and brown slightly,
Quench with a chefspoon of base gravy and cook out on high for a minute or so,
Add your powdered spices and cook until you get that aroma that makes you cough slightly
Quench with a good chefspoon of diluted tom puree and cook out for a minute or so,
Add the peppers and a small ladle of base gravy, and cook until the peppers just give
Add more base gravy, onions and the Chicken tikka, and reduce the sauce,
Finally, add the quatered tomatoes and fresh chillies and cook until the toms just start to pulp slightly and the sauce has reduced to a consistancy that you're used to.
Garnish with fresh chopped coriander
Spoon off what oil you dont want if you wish.

Hope that helps

Ray :)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Hi Ray!

Thanks, that is a big help. Looks like curry night again tomorrow, yippee!

I think I will need to cook the spices for even longer as I did not notice a need to cough, but the aroma was good.

Thank you all for your constructive comments, this is why I joined this forum to help me create great BIR dishes, and I do believe it is going to work!

Cheers
Colette  ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 12:01 AM »
Good luck Colette, and let us know how you get on.  And NO SPECIAL BREW, not on a school night....! :P

Ray ;)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06 AM »
NO SPECIAL BREW, not on a school night....! :P

Ray ;)

Nice one, you made me laugh out loud  ;D

No Special Brew?! Are you mad?  :o

My fridge is full of it, well one shelf full, there has to be a little room for yoghurt and chicken.

Surely everyone has a favourite beer or tipple?

I digress, but thank you, I will hopefully post a more successful curry in the near future  :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 12:11 AM »
Hi Terramamba
Another good post.

Harking back too the success of your original post
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7779.msg68023#msg68023

There's no need to over do the frying of the spice's like that in a Jhal Frezi.

My original tip -

"Jhal Frezi is basically a fry up! If you look at the Video again the first 4 minutes are all about combining the ingredients in succession, stir frying and working the mass in the oil.

Because its a old 'sticky' Alu pan, everything is sticking to it, singeing and caramelising plus creating the flavour.

Then I add the gravy, which is thin and watery and has the effect of deglazing and washing the pan clean again, infusing all that burnt goodness into the gravy.

Further cooking just ensures the meat is heated through and gravy is reduced and thickened. "

cheers Chewytikka

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 12:17 AM »
Hi Terramamba
Another good post.

Harking back too the success of your original post
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7779.msg68023#msg68023

There's no need to over do the frying of the spice's like that in a Jhal Frezi.

My original tip -

"Jhal Frezi is basically a fry up! If you look at the Video again the first 4 minutes are all about combining the ingredients in succession, stir frying and working the mass in the oil.

Because its a old 'sticky' Alu pan, everything is sticking to it, singeing and caramelising plus creating the flavour.

Then I add the gravy, which is thin and watery and has the effect of deglazing and washing the pan clean again, infusing all that burnt goodness into the gravy.

Further cooking just ensures the meat is heated through and gravy is reduced and thickened. "

cheers Chewytikka

Hi Chewy  ;D

Thank you, it would seem I am moving away from the original recipe here! I wanted to singe! Do you think I need to try another dish? Maybe a Vindaloo or Phall? I like my curries to be hot  8)

Cheers
Colette
 :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 12:52 AM »
Hi Colette
I'm eating HOT as I type.

Try my Madras, easy curry and a good place to start.
Ramp the heat up, with extra chill, black pepper, fresh chilli and Mr. Naga Pickle. :P :P

cheers Chewy
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7563.msg65610#msg65610

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 12:58 AM »
Hi Chewy!

Nice one, will definitely be trying that one, my iPad will be playing it at a safe distance from the cooker!

All the best  ;D

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40 AM »
Don't know whether this might help a little but i pre-fry my onions and peppers (until they blister) in the oil i use for the Jalfrezi itself, so the oil is now at a good temperature to fry your spices, plus you also have the sweetness from the onions and that green  pepper taste in the oil.
I then add each spice separately stirring ALL the time until the tomato puree is used, as said before to cool down the oil a little, i get the cough then add the base gravy.
Done the singeing on the last few curries i have made and the difference is very noticeable, in the "Pictures of my Curries" section: Kadai Mushrooms, Bhuna and Chicken 65 dishes.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Hi Uncle Frank  :)

That sounds a very good idea, perhaps I am not using enough oil, as there is none left in the pan after cooking the veg?

All the best  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes