Author Topic: How many members are "Cooking on Gas"  (Read 12842 times)

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How many members are "Cooking on Gas"
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22 AM »
We have both gas and electric here since the 'norm' is to have two kitchens .. one in the house for use mainly in winter , spring and autumn and the second called a 'summer kitchen' is accessed from the garden and used (you've guessed it .. ) in the summer. The idea is that by not going in and out of the house all day the house stays cool even if outside is up around 40 degrees Celsius.

I've never used the gas hob for curries ( my wife would do her nut ) and I've always found the ceramic one great .. it gets really hot and is a piece of p*** to keep clean .. if only I had ceramic worktops , splashbacks and so on !!    :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 08:26 AM »
I cook outside for the same reason Colin. The times I have cooked curry inside, the wife hasn't been pleased with the smell. Doesn't bother me at all. ;)

The side burner on the BBQ is way more powerful than the gas hob inside anyway, so it's all good.

Offline Petrolhead360

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 01:23 AM »
I cook on an Electrolux gas stove.
Since reading posts on this site I now use the biggest ring, which I never used before.
There is a lot of splash stains around the pan, on the cooker top and work surface, due to the high heat.

But 'her in doors' doesn't nag about the smell (she burns candles the next morning) she does nag about the splashes of curry juices on my clothes which never comes out in the wash!!

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 08:10 AM »
Blimey petrolhead .. that's a quality looking pan you've got there ... is it as heavy as it looks ?

:)

Currymonster3194

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32 PM »
I cook on a gas hob
When we hired a villa in Greece last year and I was heating up a curry I had smuggled in my suitcase I couldn't believe how terrible it was to cook on an electric hot plate not to mention cooking the rice!

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 01:29 AM »
currymonster3194
I've heard of smuggling tobacco and hashish but never a curry :)
I can see the headline in The Sun as we speak....
"man gets 15 years for curry smuggling.takes a bad turn in court.ends up in a korma"

Offline SteveyG

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2012, 09:07 AM »
I cook on an induction hob. I find it particularly helpful for rice and base sauce as the heat can be very finely adjusted.

The induction hob "boost" function is good for the initial frying as it adds a couple of kW to the normal maximum.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 11:28 AM »
I cook on an induction hob. I find it particularly helpful for rice and base sauce as the heat can be very finely adjusted.  The induction hob "boost" function is good for the initial frying as it adds a couple of kW to the normal maximum.

You must have a far better induction hob than me.  Whilst I love my hob dearly, it lacks both very fine control (only ten steps, and the gap between steps is too large to get optimal cooking in a pressure cooker) and a boost function.  That will teach me to buy electrical good from "a well-known down-market four-letter supermarket chain" !

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes