Author Topic: All hail from the Colonies  (Read 1522 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
All hail from the Colonies
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:24 AM »
And God Save her Majesty who visited recently :)

I've posted a few times already but should post in the intro section here. I was born in Pontefract, raised in Newcastle and spent about 10 years in Cardiff before migrating here to Queensland in 1978, really miss the neighbourhood BIR restaurants. When I left the UK it was that interesting period when most of the Chinese sit-down restaurants started closing down and migrating to takeaway stores, then a month later an Indian (Well Bangladeshi as we know) restaurant would spring up in the vacated premises.

When I arrived in Oz there were no Indian restaurants that I was aware of. Brisbane is about the same population as Tyne Wear and not a one. Nowadays there are several dozen, it's really blossomed over the last 15 years. And all or most of them are BIR - I think what's happened is that they are UK-naturalised Indians and Bangla Deshis who have now been able to migrate here on the strength of their UK citizenship and opened restaurants, and of course brought the Chicken Tikka Masala with them. Good on them  ;D

Due to various health problems I'm on a low salt diet so can't frequent restaurants, except for an occasional falling-off-the-wagon that I allow myself, but cooking my own is a fascinating hobby (obsession?)

Great to have such a resource as this forum. Biggest eye opener for me has been the base sauce concept, and also buying all the whole spices and roasting / grinding.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: All hail from the Colonies
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:34 AM »
Welcome beachbum.  Glad you're enjoying the forum.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:50 PM »
A yorkie geordie taff gone down under - great combination - hope you show them all a thing or two with your curry making!

best, Rich

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Wecome Beachbum !!    :)

©2024 Curry Recipes