Author Topic: Aniseed  (Read 5681 times)

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
Aniseed
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:09 AM »
Hi All,

Don't hear much about aniseed being used in curry spice mix, but I remember an aniseed flavour in Birmingham Baltis from the 80"s it was also mentioned in Pat Chapmans Balti Cookbook.

Thoughts?
Cheers

Jocko

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Aniseed
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Hi jocko
One of my local T/A has a slight after taste of aniseed, Which I would put down to Star Anise,(could even be fennel) But don't know if it's in the base or the final dish, Would be interesting to find out though.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Hi jocko
One of my local T/A has a slight after taste of aniseed, Which I would put down to Star Anise,(could even be fennel) But don't know if it's in the base or the final dish, Would be interesting to find out though.

I quite often come across the odd segment of star anise from some of the restaurants I frequent, and like any whole spices I find in BIR dishes, it usually bears the signs of being well used (i.e. having been through extended cooking).

If they use it in the base it will usually form part of an akhni stock along with other whole spices (cassia bark, cardamoms, Asian bay, etc), which is strained and the whole spices saved for the next stock (as was reported by the Fleet 5 on their visit to the Zaal, under the tutelage of chef Az).

It's more likely that it finds its way into the final dish accidentally via the pre-cooked meat stock, which often includes whole spices. (I know this happens when I cook at home, and all to the good.) 

But next time you go in why not ask them? I've found most restaurant / TA owners more than happy to chat about their dishes, and if it's not too busy some will even usher you behind the TA counter into the kitchen for a shufty.

Worth a try, anyway...

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:00 AM »
But next time you go in why not ask them? I've found most restaurant / TA owners more than happy to chat about their dishes, and if it's not too busy some will even usher you behind the TA counter into the kitchen for a shufty.

Worth a try, anyway...

Already tried that SD, but the chef is not very forthcoming, No customers are allowed in the kitchen either.
So maybe I just got a miserable chef ;) (Or the kitchen is in shite state ::))

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07 AM »

Worth a try, anyway...

Already tried that SD, but the chef is not very forthcoming, No customers are allowed in the kitchen either.

As long as the food's good, Les - that's the main thing.

Some of the best Indian food I've had has come from kitchens where you really wouldn't want to spend much time. I remember one place near Wapping where the kitchen was in the basement - as was the toilet.

Needing to take a post meal leak, I was somewhat taken aback to find the toilet pan surrounded by 25 kilo sacks of onions.

I never returned to that particular establishment, but not because of the food, which was brilliant...

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18 PM »

Worth a try, anyway...

As long as the food's good, Les - that's the main thing.

Some of the best Indian food I've had has come from kitchens where you really wouldn't want to spend much time. I remember one place near Wapping where the kitchen was in the basement - as was the toilet.

Needing to take a post meal leak, I was somewhat taken aback to find the toilet pan surrounded by 25 kilo sacks of onions.

I never returned to that particular establishment, but not because of the food, which was brilliant...

Regularly see rolls of donner kebab 'meat', being delivered from hired transit vans with no refridgeration on a particular southside street

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:16 PM »
i put it in base (5ml in 800g onion) and in the tgad2007 "chef garam". i sometimes add in to bhajis following Axe's bhaji post.

i also use fennel and generally use them together.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:41 PM »
it's also used in the Balti garam masala in Pat chapman's 'Balti curry cookbook'. I like this Garam masala if used sparingly (very heavy on the cloves!).

©2024 Curry Recipes