Author Topic: Dadibhais Omelette Pans  (Read 10854 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dadibhais Omelette Pans
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:07 PM »
@Unclefrank: Salvador how do you season your pans?

I've always used the traditional method for seasoning carbon steel woks, Unclefrank, so as black iron is exactly the same material I'll treat it the same. There are probably as many pan seasoning methods as there are base gravy recipes, but the below procedure has served me well:

First I give the wok/pan a thorough clean in soapy water to remove the protective coating, then wipe it dry with a cloth.

Next, I rub the whole inside surface of the pan with oil (some say groundnut is best, but I find any veg / sunflower oil is just as good. Anything but olive oil, really).

Then pour a good glug of oil in so it covers the base of the pan and put it over a medium to high heat on the hob or burner until the oil starts smoking a little.

Take off the heat, let the pan cool down a bit, wipe out the excess oil with kitchen towel, then repeat the process a couple more times.

And that's it. The pan is now seasoned and ready to go.

As it gets more and more use it builds up a patina as more layers of oil form in the pan, until it eventually turns black and becomes near as dammit non stick (I regularly fry eggs in my woks, which is the acid test I reckon).

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21 PM »
Cheers for that Salvador.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Pleasure. And as the pan has just arrived (I see what you mean about the service, Unclefrank), here's what it should be starting to look like after a couple of oil/heat/smoke/wipe processes:

I'm going to give it one or two more goings over just because I enjoy it so much, but it's pretty much ready to start using here. After a while it will be black and have that lovely patina that good woks acquire after many culinary adventures...

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 10:52 AM »
And having passed the fried egg test with flying colours, here it isafter another couple of cycles and a good cooking session...

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10 AM »
looks good enough to eat your food off ;)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Hi Salvador i cant fault their service at all very quick delivery, i had trouble logging into their site and had a phone call from the owner, a very pleasant and helpful person, anyway they got it sorted and everything is working fine.
Thinking of buying some of the handi pots http://www.dadibhais.com/index.php/restaurant/tableware/food-serving-items/handis.html 

These are what they serve curries in at another local of mine http://www.thevine.co.uk/

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Hi Salvador i cant fault their service at all very quick delivery, i had trouble logging into their site and had a phone call from the owner, a very pleasant and helpful person, anyway they got it sorted and everything is working fine.
Thinking of buying some of the handi pots http://www.dadibhais.com/index.php/restaurant/tableware/food-serving-items/handis.html 

These are what they serve curries in at another local of mine http://www.thevine.co.uk/

Dammit. I wasn't planning on buying anything else for a while, but I like the look of those copper handis. Very nice indeed... (Must.... resist... must resist... )

From the menu, which is refreshingly simple, The Vine looks like a good place, too. Bit far for me, but next time I'm in the area I'll check it out...

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 05:25 PM »
These pans are just perfect.

How do you know if you only took delivery a few hours ago? I suggest all you've proved so far is that they were delivered quickly, you rated the retailer's service and they look the part. Too many reviews on amazon and anywhere seem to be based on the initial excitement of a new toy arriving, well before any reasonable assessment can be made.

I hope they prove durable and that your favourable impression holds up, but how can you be certain? i.e. to "highly recommend" them at such an early stage?

POST CHECKLIST:
Could this post be construed as negative? - yes - pass
Is it potentially helpful? - yes - pass

George read the post, it was delivered Wednesday it is now Thursday. Check the pictures section, the new pan is the one with the madras in.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Like it UB.
My thoughts exactly.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 10:58 PM »