Author Topic: Does anyone have a recipe for Chicken curry (medium)?  (Read 7454 times)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a recipe for Chicken curry (medium)?
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:42 PM »
As I ask this question I am beginning to answer it myself I think ::)

My wife usually orders a chicken curry when we have a t/a. Would I be right in thinking that it would be just the base sauce (I am currently using chewys), with maybe g&g and tomato puree added?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a recipe for Chicken curry (medium)?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:56 PM »
I would add spices/mix powder  in there CCL, chilli will determine the heat.1/4 to 1/2 tsp may make it medium dep on chilli powder used, its hard to say exactly
 I use GG,no tomato paste/ 1.5 tsp any mix powder thats handy, methi, salt  & base. I'm sure my local doesn't use tomato paste in a basic curry. It's almost the same colour as a  base gravy, thats why I do it. You'd be as well trying one with & one without tomato, you'll have 1 more curry that needs to be eaten then which always a good thing  :)

ELW
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:12 PM by ELW »

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:03 PM »
I would add spices/mix powder  in there CCL, chilli will determine the heat.1/4 to 1/2 tsp may make it medium dep on chilli powder used, its hard to say exactly
 I use GG,no tomato paste/ 1.5 tsp any mix powder thats handy, methi, salt  & base. I'm sure my local doesn't use tomato paste in a basic curry. It's almost the same colour as a  base gravy, thats why I do it. You'd be as well trying one with & one without tomato, you'll have 1 more curry that needs to be eaten then which always a good thing  :)

ELW
Much appreciated ELW will give it a go ;)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Hi CCL,

Here's my version of a Restaurant Medium Chicken curry http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5148.0

Use Chewy's base and whatever mixed powder that you have to hand.  Let me know how you get on but you should be fine, it's quite basic.

All the best,

Ray :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:57 AM »
I remember some discussion in a post a while back where one member (CA I think) suggested that the best test of your curry technique is to produce a medium curry. Stripped back to basics, with only the minimum of ingredients, the medium curry has nowhere to hide. Making this curry depends on good technique to bring out the flavour of a limited amount of ingredients.

But how limited should this be? I checked out a few recipes to see how to approach this using my current base of choice for the past year, the Taz base. Bruce Edwards

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:10 PM »
I remember some discussion in a post a while back where one member (CA I think) suggested that the best test of your curry technique is to produce a medium curry. Stripped back to basics, with only the minimum of ingredients, the medium curry has nowhere to hide. Making this curry depends on good technique to bring out the flavour of a limited amount of ingredients.

Think you've about summed up a medium curry SL.  The only thing you missed out on was the  picture :( . It may only be a humble medium curry but i think it still warrants a snap in the post  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:36 PM by George »

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Stripped back to basics, with only the minimum of ingredients, the medium curry has nowhere to hide. Making this curry depends on good technique to bring out the flavour of a limited amount of ingredients.

Great post Stephen - never in the field of BIR cookery was a truer word spoken.

And it is in the medium curry where you discover if your base can cut it, too. Any hint of bitterness or lack of balance becomes all too apparent as soon as you take your first spoonful.

Although I've been using a Zaal type base of late, I'm a big fan of the Taz base, and reckon it's perfect for this exercise as it's a) simple and b) contains a good quantity of the key spices in its own right, so you're going to get a little extra punch and a nice background note (more so than you might from base with a lower proportion of spices).

In fact I have a chilli averse mate coming round tonight, so I'm going to do this recipe for him and see how it goes down.

Cheers

Gary

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:40 PM »
looking forward to seeing some reports on this as I also have friends who are averse to chilli heat.lol
would be great if I could turn out a bog standard medium curry instead of my usual rectum wreckers
Cheers :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:44 PM »
looking forward to seeing some reports on this as I also have friends who are averse to chilli heat.lol
would be great if I could turn out a bog standard medium curry instead of my usual rectum wreckers
Cheers :)
Dont' knock the rectum wreckers >:(.  There is an art to them too ;D Looking forward to the report as this curry is one we should all have in our arsenal for those less adventurous curry eaters who like it plain and no heat ???
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:16 PM by curryhell »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Nice Post :)

Can you give us the quantities for the chilli powder and spic mix again please as this forum doesn't seem to support fractions that well.

©2024 Curry Recipes