Author Topic: Bombay Potatoe  (Read 3966 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Bombay Potatoe
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Went to my local Restaurant last night(as I do every Friday) and I had probably the best Bombay potato ever(no exaggeration).Would really love to be able to replicate this dish,I don't know how they managed to get the potatoes cooked so well,they literally melted in your mouth.I'm sure I've read on this forum they sometimes cook them in the curry gravy and 'that' taste is from dried mango powder,but when I asked the waiter the top secret mode went into action with "Not sure,only the chef knows!!".It must be the only cuisine in the world that has it's techniques hidden so much,sort of a Freemason's thing!!!

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Bombay Potatoe
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:32 PM »
JB,

I have never myself been totaly happy with my diy version of this either.

I dont know how they do it.

graeme
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:30 PM by graeme »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:37 PM »
I make mine to a simlar recipe on teh in2curry curry site but add a couple of spoons of curry gravy.  The potatoes I boil just in water on thier own before hand.

cK

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I think one of the secrets of a really, really good aloo dish is to boil the potatoes whole in their skins and peel the skin off when they've cooled a bit.? It makes an incredible difference to the taste and texture of the spuds, give it a try!? We don't usually boil them like this in the UK but I know in other parts of the world (such as India) they always do, and most good restaurants and takeaways prepare their potatoes like this, I'm sure, it makes such a difference you can easily tell.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 08:01 AM »
I was talking to one chef and he said that potatoes are precooked seperately to the carrots, brocolli, cabbage.
They aren't cooked in water either
They are done in oil, tomato puree, spice mix, garlic ginger puree and salt
The potatoes effectively cook in their own steam
He showed me the pre cooked potato plastic container
Like so many other BIR things, there was about a half inch of red oil with it
Bombay potato is one of my favourites, too
I can't do it anywhere near as well as a restaurant

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 06:28 PM »
hi guys & girls
when i had my first vindaloo demo @ Rajver i also asked how they cooked their potatoes the reply was part boil them in just water for about 10 mins drain and then place them in an oven dish with oil and turmeric cook for 15 mins.
bombay potato is one of my faves and i was also lucky enough to see my bom pot cooked as well :)
will post soon

regards
gary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 11:08 PM »
Ditto - this is how I prepare the potatoes as well , only I cool the potatoes immediately after par boiling and then add them to the oil in the pan .

CC

©2024 Curry Recipes