Author Topic: Cannot Find A Clear and Concise Sheek kebab Recipe.  (Read 8373 times)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Cannot Find A Clear and Concise Sheek kebab Recipe.
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:11 PM »
hey thats very close to some bangladeshi friends showed me But can i suggest a bit of pataks kashmir masala and mutton mince instead of lamb as it is more tastier.Also a little besan flour?and a handfull opf choped onion no direspect to yours
Hi Everyone
I'm looking through the Recipe Forums....and try as I might I just Cannot seem to find a Clear and Concise (tried and tested) Sheek kebab recipe? ???

I find that quite amusing considering all the Excellent recipes on this website !

If there is a good BIR recipe here somewhere I would appreciate it if someone could Please point me in the right direction.

Regards
Layne.? ?;)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Find A Clear and Concise Sheek kebab Recipe.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Not sure if there is a kebab recipe here - if you can't find one , have a look at Madhur Jaffrey's book " From Curries to Kebabs ". There are a number of excellent recipes in that publication .

CC

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 07:36 AM »
Hi Layne,

I made some kebabs using a pre-made spice mix. They were really very good. Just simply mince your meat with an onion and the spice mix in a processor. Here is a photo of the box to look out for although this particular one is a Pasanda. I am not keen on their curry mixes but the kebab mix was very tasty.

Regards

Ray

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Hi Ray.? :D

Thank you for your reply....I will most certainly look for this brand "Laziza Kebab Mix" in my local Indian shop and I'll report back with my opinion, just one more thing Ray do you think I should try using some Kashmir paste ? because I did see this suggestion as (quoted) in this thread also the Besan flour ?
If you were happy with just the Spice Mix fine I will leave these additives out and go with just the onions and Spice mix but the Kashmir paste would probably enhance the reddish colour/flavour to the Lamb Mince what do you think perhaps a Tsp Garlic Paste ?

Regards
Layne.? ?;)

Offline railway

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:01 AM »
Hi,
 I have copied and pasted this recipe form vin daloo. I have tried it and it's excellent. Things are best kept really simple,and this IS simple

Offline railway

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:03 AM »
OOPS, sorry, forgot the paste bit.....here is the recipe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got this recipe off someone on in2curry so u may or may not have this one.  Forget any other recipes youve read in crap books ect. this is the dogs b******s.  Here it is.

1 lb lean lamb mince -as it comes do not puree or remince
1 teaspoon garlic puree
1 teaspoon ginger puree
1 egg
1 tablespoon pataks Madras/kebab paste- only available in 2.5kg pots . i got hold of it OK though
(If you cannot get this use normal Pataks madras paste)
1 teaspoon spice blend
2 tablespoons dried coriander / fresh if you can be bothered
1 tablespoon dried mint.

mix together by hand in a mixing bowl for about 5 minutes the mince will become much finer.

I tried my damned hardest for years to make keema like my local restaurant/takaway but its amazing how simple it is when you know how, dont be tempted to add anything extra or mince the lamb twice, this is the real deal!

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 07:22 AM »
Ray do you think I should try using some Kashmir paste ? because I did see this suggestion as (quoted) in this thread also the Besan flour ?
If you were happy with just the Spice Mix fine I will leave these additives out and go with just the onions and Spice mix but the Kashmir paste would probably enhance the reddish colour/flavour to the Lamb Mince what do you think perhaps a Tsp Garlic Paste ?

Hi Layne,
Sorry for the slow reply but I have been really busy of late and not contributed much.

The Kashmiri paste would be a good enhancement to your kebabs and I would personally have no hesitation using it. I have used it mainly in curry dishes and it does give it an extra boost for taste as well as the additional chilie kick from the Kashmiri Chillies.
I don't see a problem adding the tsp of Garlic paste either. After all one of the pleasures of curry cooking comes through experimentation and we can all learn so much from each others trials.

Ray.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Hi Everyone. :D

Last night I made some Sheek Kebabs and I used a modified version of the recipe above by railway well .......I was initially quite happy with flavour they did have the TASTE but they did lack a bit of heat which I like and in my opinion for them to be authentic they do need a hint of Chili so for anyone attempting sheek Kebabs this is my version try it and I think you will be pleasantly surprised......I was.

1 lb lean lamb mince
1 teaspoon garlic puree
1 teaspoon ginger puree
1 egg
1 Tbsp pataks Madras Paste
1Tsp Turmeric
? Tsp Chili Powder
1Tsp Garam Massala
1Tsp Curry Powder
1Tsp Jared Mint
Handful fresh Coriander
Red Food Colouring optional

I found this recipe to be spot on I have attempted making Sheek Kebabs many times and believe me this recipe is excellent by the way the Garam Massala is my own mix and this I have found also to be excellent

Garam Masala
1Tbsp Coriander Seeds
1Tbsp Cummin Seeds
1Tsp Green Cardamoms
4 Black Cardamoms
1 Tsp Black Peppercorns
1 Cassia Bark
2 Bay Leaves
1Tsp Cloves
? Nutmeg

I am asking our members to Please try this recipe and I would appreciate your comments......I am Very happy with it !? ;D

Regards
Layne? ?;)

Offline juju

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Hi, want to make this recipe but not sure what you mean by the spice bend. What is it ?

Thanks

Julie

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 09:23 PM »
Hi, want to make this recipe but not sure what you mean by the spice bend. What is it ?

Thanks

Julie

Check the FAQ section of the forum @ this link -

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,776.0.html

©2024 Curry Recipes