Author Topic: Curry dinner party this Saturday  (Read 13222 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry dinner party this Saturday
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 03:27 PM »
You are a brave man indeed Mr. Dhali, and both those dishes look superb.

I wish I'd taken some pictures of our food in their serving dishes, but as well as forgetting........ it just wouldn't seem suitable asking people to "move away" while I take some pictures. ;)

I will forever be endebted to people on this forum for sharing their knowledge that has allowed me to cook up this food. (bow down emoticon)  8)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Having cooked for a similar number of people I can relate to the feelings once it's all done and over with.  It certainly looked organised which really is a must when cooking for that many.  As for cooking in someone elses kitchen, that's never as easy (if that's the right word) as doing it in your own.  And that stove looked to have so much promise ???.  I think gutted is probably an understatement to descibe your disappointment SD.  I'm sure the guests were suitably impressed with your food and a good evening was had by all.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Sign of a successful evening is when the guest are happy and they obviously were.  The pics probably don't do the food justice.  I find it hard enough doing it in a lit kitchen let alone by moonlight outside.  Good job AM. Look forward to the next gathering and following report ;)  And i definitel tell the buggers to move out of the way to take pics. Least they could do being about to receive some free slap up BIR nosh  ;D

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 07:19 PM »
What a brilliant thread!
Excellent work to all involved.
 8)

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 07:55 AM »
Totally agree, Wickerman.............a damn fine job from those concerned enough to cook!

Just curious, SD, but which recipe did you use for the Mushroom Bhaji, and do you think it was of BIR standard?

al.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Totally agree, Wickerman.............a damn fine job from those concerned enough to cook!

Just curious, SD, but which recipe did you use for the Mushroom Bhaji, and do you think it was of BIR standard?

al.

My brother made the Mushroom Bhaji (I did the other sides), so I'll have to get the recipe from him. As for it being BIR standard, I have to be 100% honest here, and say that I don't really know. After a full day of prep on the Friday and a solid 3 hours of cooking my sense of smell and taste was completely shot. (This is another reason I couldn't do it for a living.)

But the guests were raving about the food (including the mushrooms), and with many being of northern stock and all of them being curry fanatics they're not shy about panning something if it's not up to scratch. (Particularly my old man, who's my most feared critic, and the bane of BIRs countrywide. Woe betide any restaurant that serves him a moody vindaloo.  :o)

As said, I'll get the recipe and post it so you can check it out.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44 AM »
What a brilliant thread!
Excellent work to all involved.
 8)

Totally agreed - splendid effort chaps!

Regards

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 09:54 AM »

al.

After a full day of prep on the Friday and a solid 3 hours of cooking my sense of smell and taste was completely shot.

I can relate to this. I didn't enjoy some of my dishes on Saturday night as much as I normally do when I just cook up one or two for the family.

BUT...............I have just devoured the leftovers from Saturday night. It was bhuna mixed in with a bit of madras with maybe a tad of vindaloo all mixed together and been sat in the fridge since Saturday night.

Well, it's Monday tea time here in OZ now, and I have just ate that cocktail of yummieness.  WOW!!! It was abosolutley superb. I cannot describe how gorgeous it was.

This week I am going to cook up all the curries for Saturday night on the Friday and keep them in foil trays ready for re-heating. This will enable me to get some proper photo's in the foil trays, it will allow my sense of taste and smell to recover, and it will also allow me time on Saturday to try some sides. I'm thinking proper naan (I did Curry2go naan last saturday, and as much as I love Julians curries, I'm sorry, but this naan didn't work for me....sorry Julian), seekh kebabs, chicken tikka and maybe some onion bhajis.

I will report back!! :) :)

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17 AM »
SD

I can fully appreciate the 'shot tastebuds syndrome' that both you and Ausie Mick had to deal with.  It has been well reported by others on this site who have tried 'event cooking'.  I have to admire your stamina - all day Saturday + a further 3 hours - when I'm all done (with my Madras, of course) inside of 7 minutes!!!!!

I'd certainly appreciate it if you can post your brother's mushroom bhaji recipe.  I've never been one for the traditional onion ones, but mushroom.......masarap talaga, as we say here. 

Also have to say your old man sounds just the business!  I can't remember how many vindaloos I've taken back to T/As on the plate because they haven't been up to standard!  And not only did they replace the vindaloo, but they washed the plate as well.  More power to him in his quest against mediocrity!

al

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Sorry for the typo SD.......your cooking days should have read "Friday & Saturday".

©2024 Curry Recipes