Author Topic: Wow - blown over  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Bob_P

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Wow - blown over
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:23 PM »
What a fab resource guys. Just found the forum on a random bit of surfing, so haven't really scratched the surface yet.

Always had an interest in curries, having been brought up on my grandmothers cooking many decades ago. My mother was born in India, although English through and through, so I have fond memories of making paratha and alloo chat at a very young age.

I have enjoyed playing with Asian cuisine, although have tended to use Pataks pastes and play around with them. My daughter bought us a cooking lesson at a restaurant in Redhill recently, and it has sparked an interest in doing some proper cooking. She has now gone to Nepal for a few months, and I am hoping she will be sending back a few spices.  Hence the curry surfing....

Live on the Surrey Hampshire borders, and just seen a thread on the Zaal restaurant in Fleet, Hampshire. Looks good, so about to give them a ring and see if we can get a seat tonight.

Looking forward to learning some techniques and developing my cooking.

Cheers - Bob

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Wow - blown over
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31 PM »
welcome Bob it's a great resource here

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:36 PM »
Welcome bob .. I'm sure you'll have lots to share here    :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Welcome Bob.  Good to have you aboard.  Let us know how you get on at Zaal's if you manage to get a booking ;)  Try the Roshney Chicken :P

Offline Bob_P

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Had an early meal at Zaals..Went for the Achari and the Mint chicken dishes, with Tarka Dhal, breads etc. The dhal, paratha and naan were great, thought that both meat courses were a bit too runny, with no real substance to the gravy.

Maybe I've been spoiled by my local restaurant in Yateley (Kismet) that seems to have  a more authentic menu. I had never seen BIR (the acronym) before yesterday, and still not really sure what it means, but I'm here to learn.

Not sure I'd bother going back to Zaal, we are rather spoilt for choice hereabouts. About to dive in to the utensils thread, may be some time before I surface. Many thanks for the warm welcome.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:55 PM »
thought that both meat courses were a bit too runny, with no real substance to the gravy.

I had never seen BIR (the acronym) before yesterday, and still not really sure what it means, but I'm here to learn.

Not sure I'd bother going back to Zaal,

Hi Bob
 a good honest review my friend, that's what we like.
BIR stands for British Indian Resturants ;D, Not sure, but I think it was one of the guy's on here that come up with it.
Happy Currying

Les 

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Had an early meal at Zaals..Went for the Achari and the Mint chicken dishes, with Tarka Dhal, breads etc. The dhal, paratha and naan were great,
thought that both meat courses were a bit too runny, with no real substance
to the gravy.

Maybe I've been spoiled by my local restaurant in Yateley (Kismet) that seems to have  a more authentic menu. I had never seen BIR (the acronym) before yesterday, and still not really sure what it means, but I'm here to learn.

Not sure I'd bother going back to Zaal
, we are rather spoilt for choice hereabouts. About to dive in to the utensils thread, may be some time before I surface. Many thanks for the warm welcome.

That's Peed on the Fleet 5's bonfire then  ;D ;D only joking lads  ;)

Had a Madras from our local BIR last night which is usually very good ,especially the Bhaji's  :P but last night the curry was hot with little flavour and the Bhaji's were under cooked and cake like :( I think most BIR's have their 'off nights' sometimes.

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Welcome aboard Bob, I am sure this site will tantalise your taste buds as it has mine  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes