Author Topic: A nudge in the right direction please!  (Read 2262 times)

Offline broon-loon

• Chef
    • View Profile
A nudge in the right direction please!
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Hi fellow curry lovers.

Although I'm fairly new on this forum I have been trying to cook BIR style curry for many years.
I always used the Kris Dhillon base, however I have never actually cooked the whole quantity and froze some at the end of the 'green stage'. This makes it awkward to get the corect proportion for the tomato stage to complete the sauce, and It might be where I have been going wrong?
Recently I tried the 'Rajver' base with some success (see Pictures of your Curries), but again I feel there is better to come.

What I would appreciate, and I realise there may be differences of opinion, is whether to try a Bruce Edwards base, (it seems to curry favour with lots of you)? ::), or try the Dhillon version again from start to finish. ???

I have read some of the threads suggesting improvements to the KD version and would also be interested to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks, and sorry if this is going over 'old news'!

Eric,

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: A nudge in the right direction please!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Hi Eric,

Just my 2$ but I think you will probably get 10 different answers from 10 different cr0 members? ::)

Personally I have never really liked the Dhillion base, i recently went back to it to see if I could make it any better now that my curry skills had improved but no I couldn't.? I could make a nice curry with it but thats all it was "nice", nothing special and I knew I could make better with a different base.? I make my own base now(a variation on what I was shown by a chef) and have been making it similar for months to try and perfect the final curry stage, knowing the base is always the same I can tweak away.? If your interested I can post it for you?

The Bruce Edwards is a good base but I haven't made it in a while.

cK
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 04:44 PM by Curry King »

Offline broon-loon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Hi cK, and yes please, your base recipe would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Eric

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 10:29 PM »
My base sauces will turn out a good Curry every time.
try any one (these link to separate recipes but the base is repeated,sorry,remember you don't need to make the whole recipe,try the base & add you own final curry,the base is mild enough to make any Curry).

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=692.0

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=673.0

Enjoy...........DARTHPHALL............ 8)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 07:17 AM »
Hi,

Just to throw a bit more into the mix I can recommend these bases over and above the KD one.

1. Darths Base
2. Bruce Edwards Base
3. Petes Base
4. Balti Kitchen Base
5. Mark J Base

My opinion is that we are all about on track with the base sauce, most being a small variant of the other. The base provides the "background" flavour and most are fairly bland compared with the finished dish.
I find the success of the curry is very much dependant on what you do add to the base rather than the taste of the base itself.

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes