Author Topic: Patak's Vindaloo tinned sauce  (Read 18969 times)

Offline Petrolhead360

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Patak's Vindaloo tinned sauce
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:10 AM »
Back in the 90's one of my favourite Saturday night curries was made using Patak's tinned (not Jars) Vindaloo sauce.

When i gave up on trying to replicate the dishes my beloved take away served, I turned my attention to my favourite commercially available sauce.

I bought more books, watched tv programmes and consumed as much information as possible.
As with the BIR cooking I failed to get close.
It had a rich tangy, slight vinegary taste which I loved.
I think Fenugreek was mentioned in the ingredients along with the standard spice list.

Of course there was no internet or network of like minded people then. Not on a mass scale anyway.
There was Pat Chapman's Curry Club, but, I'd bought his  books and they didn't help.

I'm not sure whether Patak still sells this sauce. I can't find it on their site and I never see it in my local super markets anymore.

Does anyone remember it? and more importantly any information about how to replicate it at home?
I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Cheers, James

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's Vindaloo tinned sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:21 AM »
It's still on sale in Australia if that's any help. It tastes awful though. Probably just me.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 07:58 AM »
Hi petrolhead ,

Given the wealth of great vindaloo recipes on cr0 I'm baffled as to why you'd contemplate a tinned sauce .. a trip down memory lane maybe  :)

The first recipe I made from here was CA's vindaloo using his base and masala and it was wonderful .. why not give it a go ... you'll be very pleasantly surprised .. it's BIR !!   :)

Good luck anyway  :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:18 AM »
Hi Petrolhead360,

I understand where you are coming from here. Before I ever even started cooking BIR the closest thing to it for me was a TIN of Pataks Vindaloo sauce, which albeit was nothing like anything from my local BIR gave me my curry fix on a Saturday night....

A trip down memory lane for me, as I probably wouldn't buy it now I can make all the BIR dishes I desire, but nonetheless, was good at the time :)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:13 AM »
I remember Patak's tinned vindaloo sauce well - amongst many other experiments I put my tortured friends and family through in the early days!

I haven't seen the tins around for years, but they make it in jars: http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/vindaloo-cooking-sauce.aspx

Like most here I prefer to do it the BIR way, but of the commercial products available, sometimes if I need a quick hit I might use a Laziza paste. They have a distinctive, intense flavour and are packed full of whole spices, though there is a little MSG in there. They do a good tandoori paste, but this is my favourite:

(Try a tablespoon or three in scrambled eggs with plenty of fresh coriander.)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36 AM »
There's nothing quite like a stroll down memory lane  Petrolhead.  I see some tinned Patak sauces the other week when i was shopping.  It was in Morrisons I think but it may have been in Tesco.  I'll check it out and let you know.   Just please don't start craving for a Vesta packet curry though, will you  :o :o ;D

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Morning SD
They sell those jars at my local would you use it instead of your powerderd mix
ie  heat pan ,oil,gg,tom paste, then jar paste and add gravey !

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Back in the 90's one of my favourite Saturday night curries was made using Patak's tinned (not Jars) Vindaloo sauce.

When i gave up on trying to replicate the dishes my beloved take away served, I turned my attention to my favourite commercially available sauce.

I bought more books, watched tv programmes and consumed as much information as possible.
As with the BIR cooking I failed to get close.
It had a rich tangy, slight vinegary taste which I loved.
I think Fenugreek was mentioned in the ingredients along with the standard spice list.

Of course there was no internet or network of like minded people then. Not on a mass scale anyway.
There was Pat Chapman's Curry Club, but, I'd bought his  books and they didn't help.

I'm not sure whether Patak still sells this sauce. I can't find it on their site and I never see it in my local super markets anymore.

Does anyone remember it? and more importantly any information about how to replicate it at home?
I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Cheers, James

the vinegary taste comes from the aceitic acid they use tis just another name for vinegar there plenty of great recipes and vids to make a perfect vinaloo on this sight :-) have a gander and happy noshing

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00 AM »
hi james this may help the vinegary taste comes from the aceitic acid they use tis just another name for vinegar there plenty of great recipes and vids to make a perfect vinaloo on this sight :-) have a gander and happy noshing ( ivan) :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00 AM »
I think my local ASDA has it.

©2024 Curry Recipes