Author Topic: Patak's Vindaloo tinned sauce  (Read 18835 times)

Offline Petrolhead360

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's Vindaloo tinned sauce
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37 PM »
BUT after trying the Vindaloo recipes on here NOTHING compares not even my all time fav restaurant the Barinda in Wilmslow beats CRO's recipes

Again maybe it's my age or memory but the curries of yesteryear seemed to have had more power of flavour. Not just heat but rich, tangy full on punch.
Any recipe recommendation from this site that would give me that kick?

Currymonster3194

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45 PM »
I dare say there are lots of good recipes on here but this is the first one I tried and to be honest I feel like I hit the jackpot first time with this one
I made it using CA's base sauce too
Very pleased with the results

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3953.0

Currymonster3194

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 10:59 PM »
I dare say there are lots of good recipes on here but this is the first one I tried and to be honest I feel like I hit the jackpot first time with this one

Yeah I've tried analysing this thought several times I think maybe many years of eating curry could change your palet and taste buds

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 11:04 PM »
i recall pataks madras tinned sauce was great but they don't seem to do the tins anymore, the jars are nowhere near as nice, nor are the pastes :o

Maybe it's like lots of things that they change the recipes for less salt/healthier versions but lose taste in the process - pot noodles spring immediately to mind!

Offline Petrolhead360

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 11:25 PM »

Well what do you know? That's my favourite too!
I've made it about 4 times in the last 2 weeks.
That recipe is very more-ish and gets very close to what I'm looking for.
Maybe I'll use it as a foundation and experiment.

Currymonster3194

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Yeah I made 12 base sauce portions and I'm down to 2 left now

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57 PM »
BUT after trying the Vindaloo recipes on here NOTHING compares not even my all time fav restaurant the Barinda in Wilmslow beats CRO's recipes

Again maybe it's my age or memory but the curries of yesteryear seemed to have had more power of flavour. Not just heat but rich, tangy full on punch.
Any recipe recommendation from this site that would give me that kick?

Hi PH360,

I agree with you totally on this one. The curries I used to buy from Indian restaurants in days gone by have by far superceded the curries I can now get from BIR restaurants these days. This is why I have strived for the past 4-5 years to replicate the fullness of flavour and richness of dishes that I now make and I am quite happy with my results.

I get lots of comments that, "This is not quite BIR cooking techniques/standards of what goes on in BIR restaurants these days", but you know what? I don't really give a damn whether I have got the oil hot enough to say that I have singed the spices to the right point or whether I have not included a certain ingredient to make a certain dish, just because it is written in the BIR bible and that's the way we have done it in BIR restaurants for the past 20 odd years....

I go for full flavour and richness in a dish that I would consider in my opinion worthy of eating. Maybe it would or would not be viable to produce in an Indian restaurant for fear of pricing it off the menu, but if you want to produce fantastic tasting food that will not only please you but everyone you are cooking for, do you really care whether it has been made to "The BIR Bible?" or would you make it to indulge?

Consider that in other cuisines.....

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19 PM »
do you really care whether it has been made to "The BIR Bible?" or would you make it to indulge?
Sacriledge Bob.  Wash your mouth out.  But i make you 100% right  ;D.  Besides, other than Abdul, there isn't a BIR chef on the forum.  There's certainly one or two who think they are though  ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:43 PM by curryhell »

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Hi 976bar,  i totally agree with your comments .  preaching from the bir bible is not for me either !

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 02:54 PM »
HEAR HEAR!
Like i've always said, a good curry is a good curry!
It irks me when i hear people from both sides refusing to even consider a recipe if it doesn't conform to their standard template.
People from the non BIR world wont touch anything that has base gravy, and vise versa  ::)

An example was when i posted 2 videos. The first was watched by someone and because it didn't use any base gravy, they refused to watch the second video.
It was only when somebody else pointed out that a base gravy was used in the 2nd video that they changed their tune.  ::)
Thats just sad. 

Apart from a dozen or so recipes, the best thing that this forum has given me so far in regards to cooking curry  are
Bassar powder and Panch poran.
Both of which are not exactly BIR standards, BUT,, make fantastic flavourful curries.  ;)

Frank  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes