Author Topic: Patak's Vindaloo tinned sauce  (Read 18836 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's Vindaloo tinned sauce
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 03:06 PM »
HEAR HEAR!
Like i've always said, a good curry is a good curry!
It irks me when i hear people from both sides refusing to even consider a recipe if it doesn't conform to their standard template.
People from the non BIR world wont touch anything that has base gravy, and vise versa  ::)

An example was when i posted 2 videos. The first was watched by someone and because it didn't use any base gravy, they refused to watch the second video.
It was only when somebody else pointed out that a base gravy was used in the 2nd video that they changed their tune.  ::)
Thats just sad. 

Apart from a dozen or so recipes, the best thing that this forum has given me so far in regards to cooking curry  are
Bassar powder and Panch poran.
Both of which are not exactly BIR standards, BUT,, make fantastic flavourful curries.  ;)

Frank  :)

I can only echo those sentiments, Frank. Balls to the 'purists' I say. It's like anything in life, if you subscribe exclusively to one particular belief system, whether it be rooted in cuisine, religion or politics, then you shut yourself off to other possibilities. Or as some wise geezer once said, "Belief is the death of the soul".

Sheesh - that's maybe a bit too profound for a curry forum, so getting back on topic I really must track down some Bassar powder.

Julian mentions that he uses it in his eBook, or rather, he mentions in his eBook that he uses it, and he picked it up from visiting Pakastani run restaurants, which happen to make my favourite style of curries.

I've come across the Al Noor and Supreme brands, so I'll try both I reckon... 

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I'd never heard of either before joining this forum  :o crazy really, as they've always been right on my doorstep all my life.

When i was last in Blackburn shopping for spices, the entire bottom shelf of one of the spice isles consisted of ONLY Bassar powder  ;D I'd say it was about 30 foot long.  ;)

I chose King of spice brand.

Frank.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Pataks tinned Vindallo or Madras sauces can be used in many ways
they can also be real life savers for sure
not only can you save A Curry you vandalized (to much spice perhaps)

It's great stuff especially when you come outa the pub pissed up
then realize Oh No your local Indian takeaway has closed panic sets in !!!

because yes you then get home realizing you already eaten your own
special Curry the night before
so go to your freezer get that frozen pre-cooked chicken portion out
pop it in the micro defrost it probably 10 mins ...Ping
take skin of and shred it into strips throw into a frying pan or wok
pour the Pataks tinned stuff over it heat it up Done !
crisis averted
Cheers
T
 :D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09 PM »
HEAR HEAR!
Like i've always said, a good curry is a good curry!
It irks me when i hear people from both sides refusing to even consider a recipe if it doesn't conform to their standard template.
People from the non BIR world wont touch anything that has base gravy, and vise versa  ::)

An example was when i posted 2 videos. The first was watched by someone and because it didn't use any base gravy, they refused to watch the second video.
It was only when somebody else pointed out that a base gravy was used in the 2nd video that they changed their tune.  ::)
Thats just sad. 

Apart from a dozen or so recipes, the best thing that this forum has given me so far in regards to cooking curry  are
Bassar powder and Panch poran.
Both of which are not exactly BIR standards, BUT,, make fantastic flavourful curries.  ;)

Frank  :)

I can only echo those sentiments, Frank. Balls to the 'purists' I say. It's like anything in life, if you subscribe exclusively to one particular belief system, whether it be rooted in cuisine, religion or politics, then you shut yourself off to other possibilities. Or as some wise geezer once said, "Belief is the death of the soul".

Sheesh - that's maybe a bit too profound for a curry forum, so getting back on topic I really must track down some Bassar powder.

Julian mentions that he uses it in his eBook, or rather, he mentions in his eBook that he uses it, and he picked it up from visiting Pakastani run restaurants, which happen to make my favourite style of curries.

I've come across the Al Noor and Supreme brands, so I'll try both I reckon...

Hi Everyone,

I don't wish to lead people away from the whole purpose of this forum, which was (is) intended to replicate BIR food. Without this forum, I would never have exceeded my expectations of cooking wonderful Indian Cuisine and I am extremely grateful to everyone that has contributed over the years whether they be a BIR Chef or whether they have just cooked at home and learned a great deal on the way.... There has been some fantastic posts on here which I think everyone would agree has set them in the right direction....

However, I do not believe that it should be rigid. As I have always maintained, all across the country there are different regions of Indian (BIR) styles of cooking and one madras in someones eyes may not be the same madras in someone elses eyes if you see what I mean....

I hope this makes sense to everyone and does not deter anyone from using what I would class as the best Indian Cuisine forum in the world :)

Currymonster3194

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I remember a few years ago finding a morrisons which still stocked Pataks tins of Vindaloo when everyone else had stopped stocking it so I bought every tin on the shelf (15) :)
The checkout girl thought I had a restaurant and gave me a discount too lol

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Pataks Vindaloo Concentrate Paste Alert
I saw Pataks tins of Vindaloo in the big cut price store B&M today
little tin serves 4, never noticed the price, but probably cheap.

cheers chewy

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 05:39 PM »
49p each and not the same as 10-12 years ago :-(

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Never mind the Pataks: what about the Veeraswamy's little blue tins of sauce (served 2) - I used to use them in the 70s in Cardiff, Mate and I used to cook them up at work in the staff canteen with some precooked chicken and cooked rice I'd bring in. I got a couple in Australia about 10 years ago and I was particularly struck by the main ingredient: "margarine".  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes