Author Topic: Chicken Pasanda  (Read 28422 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Pasanda
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:11 PM »
I asked a client of mine what her favourite Indian dish was and she came back with, "Chicken Pasanda" I thought... "Oh fcuk". I haven't done much in the way of a pasanda before, so set myself to task...

I've not really eaten much in the way of pasanda before either, so have put this recipe together. My kids tasted it tonight and loved it, I've yet to give it to my client tomorrow for her to try.....  :-\

Ingredients
Marinade
100ml of Greek yogurt
2 tsp spice mix
1 small onion, peeled and blended into a paste
1 tsp garlic puree
1 tsp ginger puree
1 tbsp oil
3 tbsp water
2 Chicken breasts cut into large cubes

Method
Combine all ingredients and mix well, then add the Chicken. I put all this into a freezer bag, mix well together, seal the bag and pop in the fridge for 2 days.

Main Recipe
1 tbsp butter or ghee
3 tbsp oil

Whole Spices
2 green cardamom pods cracked
4 cloves
1 x 2 inch piece of cassia bark

Mixed Spices
1 tsp spice mix
1 tsp curry powder

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Pasanda
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:42 PM »
976 I've never quite worked out (in BIR terms) what the difference between a Korma and a Pasanda, but regardless of that your curry look delicious. I hope your client enjoys!!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Probably about 2 pound 50 pence in a BIR. As the korma normally sits on its own on a menu and the Pasanda sits in the "House or Chef's Speicals" section!!  ;D ;D

All in all, the only difference between them both I think is that the pasanda is a more rich sauce containing almonds and sultanas whereas the korma is just a plainish sauce.

However, I have known some people report korma's to include nuts and sultanas or raisins too.... Another regional variance I guess, but thanks for your message  :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Just emerged from the e-book for a min only to see this professional BIR looking grub staring me in the face.  Trully a chef's special 976.  Hope the client appreciates it  ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Just emerged from the e-book for a min only to see this professional BIR looking grub staring me in the face.  Trully a chef's special 976.  Hope the client appreciates it  ;)

Thanks CH, I hope she does too :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Hi 976bar just a couple questions if i may, what spice mixes are you using and what base gravy and also is it essential to marinade the chicken for 2 days or could overnight be ok.
Thanks.
Dish looks wonderful by the way.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:56 PM »
must say that looks fantastic

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Hi 976bar just a couple questions if i may, what spice mixes are you using and what base gravy and also is it essential to marinade the chicken for 2 days or could overnight be ok.
Thanks.
Dish looks wonderful by the way.

Hi UF,

I've never made this dish before, so it was a first for me. I would imagine that overnight would be fine. It's just that I always marinate my Chicken Tikka for between 2-3 days, so did the same for this. On this occaision I used Abduls 8 spice mix as I wanted the colour to come out in the dish from the tandoori masala. (I could have used paprika for the colour, but just thought I would guve that particular spice mix a try). I also used Taz's base :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:40 PM »
must say that looks fantastic

Thank you MT :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:11 PM »