Author Topic: Chicken Pasanda  (Read 28288 times)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Pasanda
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Did she like it   ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:12 AM »
976 I've never quite worked out (in BIR terms) what the difference between a Korma and a Pasanda, but regardless of that your curry look delicious. I hope your client enjoys!!

Hi Stephen,

She e-mailed me back after a long wait and I was getting real nervous lol, "The curry was amazing - Thank you so much :)"

Big sigh of relief!! :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:08 PM »
976bar,

your recipe's never disappoint.

i must admit my BIR views have changed since joining CR0. madras and derivatives being my only starting interest. i now know how good these "specials" can be.

pasanda is something i've overlooked. many thanks for the heads up.

going to wright out a recipe sticky for when i next have base. well pleased recipe is BIR format (just realised "almost").

best wishes,
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:18 PM by JerryM »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I'll have a try of this soon. Pasanda's always been one of my favourites, and any one that says it tastes like a Korma has obviously never had a good one.

Normally, when I come back to the U.K the first thing on the menu is curry (or fish and chips!) so it's a family affair and we all like to pick n' mix. We'll order  6 or 7 seven curries, some for the kids, some for the chilli lovers. Pasanda and jalfrezi are the dishes that we always order. I have to confess I've never seen a sultana in a Pasanda, having said that I usually use the same BIRs, so no real surprise.

Cheers for a good looking recipe.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I'll have a try of this soon. Pasanda's always been one of my favourites, and any one that says it tastes like a Korma has obviously never had a good one.

Normally, when I come back to the U.K the first thing on the menu is curry (or fish and chips!) so it's a family affair and we all like to pick n' mix. We'll order  6 or 7 seven curries, some for the kids, some for the chilli lovers. Pasanda and jalfrezi are the dishes that we always order. I have to confess I've never seen a sultana in a Pasanda, having said that I usually use the same BIRs, so no real surprise.

Cheers for a good looking recipe.

Hi Fried,

Funnily enough I've never seen a Pasanda without sultana's and to be honest the only Pasanda I have ever tried from a BIR was a lamb Pasanda way back in the 80's which I loved, but have never cooked one before.

So when my client asked for a Chicken Pasanda, I did get a little nervous, but once my kids gave it the thumbs up and they are fussy little Fukkres, I decided to let her try it :)

I like you, love the idea of a Thali style, which is a lot of different dishes for everyone to try :) A little like a Greek Meza.. :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19 PM »
976bar,

your recipe's never disappoint.

i must admit my BIR views have changed since joining CR0. madras and derivatives being my only starting interest. i now know how good these "specials" can be.

pasanda is something i've overlooked. many thanks for the heads up.

going to wright out a recipe sticky for when i next have base. well pleased recipe is BIR format (just realised "almost").

best wishes,

Many thanks Jerry, I hope you enjoy :)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 06:59 AM »
I should mention that I've never had a Chicken Pasanda either, we always have it as Lamb too. I might have a go at this on Monday instead of the planned Madras.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 01:06 PM »
Hi 976
Not Knocking your attempt, and it is a good looking homemade curry that your kids like.

But a BIR Pasanda isn't a Korma or based on a Korma, where ever you may order it.

Almond,Yogurt, Cream, Poppy Seeds, Butter Ghee are the key ingredients, providing
a very mild and savoury sauce, ideally suited with Lamb.

No Sugar, No Coconut, No Tandoori Masala

My Restaurant Pasanda recipe here:-

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6024.msg59918#msg59918

I also find Abdul's 8 spice a bit conflicting and too much for some BIR recipes.

Anyway good post and photo

cheers Chewy

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 01:22 PM »
chewy this is a helpful post because as you may have noticed earlier on in the thread I said that I wasn't sure of the difference. I mean I know what a proper (i.e. non BIR) Pasanda is like but I displayed some confusion between that and a Korma in BIR terms. The reason for that is precisely because at a lot of restaurants here a Pasanda is basically served as a pimped up Korma. Your post has helped be to highlight the differences and I may even try and do a Taz Pasanda for myself and for the forum!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Hi SL,

I have also always been unsure about the differences between a BIR Korma and a BIR Passanda. 

However, I agree with your assessment.  A Passanda, it seems to me, is simply a "pimped up" Korma. 

Having eaten both (generally chicken), in copious quantities, I would say they are VERY similar.

To my mind:

• both are sweet, creamy (and coconutty?)
  • neither seem to contain yogurt that I am familar with (at least in significant quantities, compared to other ingredients)
  • neither have ever had poppy seeds in them (at least, to my recollection; I have never seen them)
  • neither have tandoori masala in them (definite)
  • a Passanda (or "Passandra") is also generally more "almondy"than a Korma (my perception only)
  • Passandas, that I have had, have also had things like egg in (or, particularly, on them)

I doubt this will help but will simply obfuscate!  ;)

Of course, I could be completely wrong!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:32 PM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes