Author Topic: The Secret to That Takeaway Curry Taste  (Read 30790 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret to That Takeaway Curry Taste
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Well you make laugh  ;) and I think it would be fair to say the forum would be a duller place with out you
Now what else can get you to buy Mmmm . To be fair I wont feel part of this forum until I start posting pitures need a camera looking at the Nikon D300s

As a lifelong Nikon man, it's a great choice of camera, Michael (I have a D300s and a D700). There are plenty of great secondhand deals to be had - and Nikon are due to replace it soon with the D400, so prices will fall even further.

But this is way off topic, so do PM me if you want to chat about cameras.

Cheers

Gary

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Thanks guys another cheap hobby NOT :-\

Offline curry2gochorley

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2012, 12:56 PM »
I've just finished a session in the kitchen and have a bloody hot Zaal phall ( i obviously cooked the chilli properly ;D) with pilau rice to be eaten.  The last two days the forum has been quiet which i think is due to many members reading, digesting  and mulling over what is in Julian's book, myself included. 
If only a book like Julians had been available 20 or so years ago along with the instructional videos when many of us had begun our quest   ???.  For anybody just starting out on the journey this book is invaluable and they have it easy compared to many of us.  For many of us die hards the book has a few gems and reinforces much of what we suspected as well as that which we now take as given.
I have to take my hat off to this man.  To do what he is doing, not just running Curry2go but producing quality instructional videos for keen BIR enthusiasts to learn from and to produce an e-book  just shows his passion for BIR food and a considerable amount of balls.  I did knock your naan breads and question the simplicity of your bhuna but, for what it's worth, you've certainly earned my respect.  You had a dream and you've made it come true.   I hope that C2go continues to thrive and flourish, there are more vids to follow and look forward to another volume or two on your take of BIR cooking (BIR sides and starters would be excellent  ;) ).  After the effort you've put in to this, you really do deserve it mate.  Your contribution on this site is very much appreciated by many.
I'm trying to resist the temptation to launch into a curry2go frenzy as i still have much to work on with the Zaal experience but i will get round to trying much of the contents.  One of the main learnings for me of 2012 so far is exactly as Ray said.  One, if not the main secret  centers around technique and the ability to consistantly produce the same results time after time.
All the best Julian.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks for that feedback very much appreciated!

Thanks to all the other the curry enthusiasts for there feedback too.

While I appreciate your positive comments,  I am well aware that though I have done my best to make things as clear and concise as poss, inevitably some things may need some elaboration and clarification, so I just wanted to add this post to say;  I am happy to use this forum the discuss the recipes , techniques or just any questions that anyone might have. There have already come to light one or two oversights; like the cumin seeds missing from the Pillau Rice recipe (Dohh!) but you'll notice they are there on the accompanying video (don't know how that happened as the book was proof read numerous times?) 

Also has some of you may have notice I mucked up the editing on the Base Gravy video part 2 hence a little bit of the video got lopped off ( I was over my 16 minute Youtube allowance)  hence I quickly made a follow up video to compensate you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WjkCvKjDk4

So feel free to ask any questions or let me know what your thoughts are it may take a few days to answer the query due the time involved in running Curry 2 Go caring for three kids and embarking on a follow up book,  time may escape me.

Some things to look out for...

I am still planning more YouTube videos with recipes and tips etc,  so as I find the time I will upload those.
I have also just started working with a 'seasoned' Pakistani Chef who will be working along with us occasionally at Curry 2 Go and revealing some who his recipes for Pakistani dishes. I also hope to work with another 2 Pakistani Restaurants, so hopefully extract a wealth of knowledge from these!

I do really believe that the best South Asian cuisine is right here in the UK!  If anyone has ever been to an 'Indian' restaurant in the USA you will know what I'm talking about!  The UK has become a melting pot for so many culinary influences and fusions, unlike anywhere else in the world!

Having entered this Industry in the past couple of years it now seems that things are really beggining to open up;  what I mean by that is more and more south Asian chef's are happy to reveal their closely guarded secrets and work with non Asian chef's and organisations (maybe because of the curry crisis?) For example Mumtaz in Bradford are working along with Bradford college (you might of seem my video on that?) and other restaurant are cooperating too.  My aim is to plug into that and obviously share that knowledge with other like minded curry fanatics.

Julian

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 01:40 PM »
There have already come to light one or two oversights; like the cumin seeds missing from the Pillau Rice recipe (Dohh!) but you'll notice they are there on the accompanying video (don't know how that happened as the book was proof read numerous times?) 

Also has some of you may have notice I mucked up the editing on the Base Gravy video part 2 hence a little bit of the video got lopped off ( I was over my 16 minute Youtube allowance)  hence I quickly made a follow up video to compensate you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WjkCvKjDk4

Think you'll be forgiven Julian.  Best laid plans of mice and men and all that ;D.  I caught up on the missing bit this morning.  God only knows how you're going to fit everything in but the very best of luck and i'm sure i speak for most when i say we look forward to updates from yourself as they become available.

No good, couldn't resist the temption for long ::).  Been to the shops and plan to spend the afternoon in the kitchend doing the gravy and a couple of other bits. 

One question though, regarding
" 4 - 5 2 inch chunks of root ginger"
Is this literally 5 pieces of ginger of 2" in length or are we talking about 4-5 slices of the stuff, as shown in the video which is considerably less?  i'm a bit hesitant to add the former ;D

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 02:15 PM »
I'm glad this video has been added as I got to the last part of my Gravy recipe and was eagerly anticipating the correct texture part as promised and then it ended :(, Having watched it my gravy is probhably still a bit too thick.

Thanks for correcting Julian ;)

W

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 05:34 PM »
I can't seem to get the pilau rice tri-coloured the way it shows on the video, it comes out a very,very pale colour for me - unfortunately the video doesn't make it clear if the rice should be cooled to 5 degrees C before colouring, or to colour while it is still warm straight out of the pressure cooker before adding the ice packs to cool it.

Any tips on the rice colouring?  I'm using the small bottles of liquid food colouring from Asda if that's the problem.

P.S. Has anyone else had a devil of a job trying to locate Kashmiri Masala paste in the supermarkets, I ended up ordering online from Rajah as Pataks don't have an online webshop.

Cracking recipe for the pilau though, the taste is just right, just need to get the look now!

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 05:46 PM »
I can't seem to get the pilau rice tri-coloured the way it shows on the video, it comes out a very,very pale colour for me - unfortunately the video doesn't make it clear if the rice should be cooled to 5 degrees C before colouring, or to colour while it is still warm straight out of the pressure cooker before adding the ice packs to cool it.

Any tips on the rice colouring?  I'm using the small bottles of liquid food colouring from Asda if that's the problem.

P.S. Has anyone else had a devil of a job trying to locate Kashmiri Masala paste in the supermarkets, I ended up ordering online from Rajah as Pataks don't have an online webshop.

Cracking recipe for the pilau though, the taste is just right, just need to get the look now!

Hi stephenperry, on my last batch i wanted to be in full control of the tri colours, the problem is that if you start to mix the rice around too soon after the colourings gone in, you risk the colours bleeding into each other and leaving lots of grains covered with lots of different colour.
This latch batch i separated 3 small pots and coloured them green red and yellow and coated all of the grains, later when dried and cooled, I then reintroduced the grains to the remaining white rice. That way your in control of how much colored rice you put in ;)

Hope that helps :)

Ps i get my kashmiri masala from an asian shop so no issues sourcing it!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 06:36 PM »

Kashmiri paste is normally found in most asian stores if you're lucky enough to have any in the vacinity.   I am very lucky and have several  ;D

First tip is ditch the liquid food colouring and use powder - much more intense and easier to control.  having just cooked the rice, using a cocktail stick,  a tiny little pile in  three areas of the rice, one spot of water on each, cover with a teaspoon of rice leave to cool and voila -  done.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Just treat the powdered colourant like uranium, don't spill it. if you spill it, don't wipe it up with a wet sponge. In fact my missus won't even let me touch it and insists on doing all the colouring of stuff. If you saw me cook you'd know why. She even keeps it locked up in a small box.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Just treat the powdered colourant like uranium, don't spill it. if you spill it, don't wipe it up with a wet sponge. In fact my missus won't even let me touch it and insists on doing all the colouring of stuff. If you saw me cook you'd know why. She even keeps it locked up in a small box.
A very apt analogy fried.  To be treated with the greatest of respect as a very little goes a bloody long way.  Especially when it's in the wrong places  :o :o ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes