Author Topic: Anyone tried Julian's base yet?  (Read 74324 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried Julian's base yet?
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2013, 10:32 PM »
short answer is no, you get double ish the 3l investment of veg etc. done it a few times now. The book explains as well albeit there are still several inaccuracies in v 2. Using very little water in part 1 accounts for the need to double up with water later before the last boil.

But how can that be, Ruby ?  Look at the video at exactly 03:00; this is post-cook, pre-liquidise and still in the 3L pressure cooker -- the pressure cooker is now only 2/3 full, or 3/4 at most (i.e., 2.0--2.25L).  Adding 1:1 water will yield 4.0--4.5L.

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2013, 10:36 PM »
short answer is no, you get double ish the 3l investment of veg etc. done it a few times now. The book explains as well albeit there are still several inaccuracies in v 2. Using very little water in part 1 accounts for the need to double up with water later before the last boil.

But how can that be, Ruby ?  Look at the video at exactly 03:00; this is post-cook, pre-liquidise and still in the 3L pressure cooker -- the pressure cooker is now only 2/3 full, or 3/4 at most (i.e., 2.0--2.25L).  Adding 1:1 water will yield 4.0--4.5L.

** Phil.

Got an early one tomorrow Phil. Will look at vid later and post again.  :D

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Phil
I have looked at the vid against the book albeit briefly. Ww already know about anomalies however important examples lie around -
Differing quantities in vid to book
Differing quantities ratios between 15, 7 and 3 litre bases and again when reducing the 3 different bases he explains.
That said, the video is using a 7 litre PC . Now, is that a 7 litre or a 3 litre?  ;) He describes a 7 l elsewhere in the book and uses the same one in another vid. It is the same one I have and is deffo 7 litre but I have to agree that the one you refer to looks a bit smaller or is that the way the vid was done? Remember the high sided pans?  ;)  The quantities he describes therein are for a 7 litre Bangla base as per book. Eg 500 ml oil. Whole bunch coriander etc.
The book does say transfer base to larger pot and double volume with water. He does not mention this in vid, it just appears in the new pot.
Big further discrepancy for me between vid and book is in the vid he doubles with water and blends then adds spices before next cook. In the book the spices are added before the water and before blending and cooked 30 mins. He does say transfer to 15l pot which is clearly the second one in the video.

Not sure any of this helps re the quantity issue but having made this several times and to repeat -

I use a 7 litre pot but only fill to a tad over half. After boil and spices cooked i add water to around the 6 litre mark . My pan is graduated. After blending and last boil I normally have to add another .25 to .5 litre water to get the constancy right following some reduction. So, I produce 6 litres or a little over from a tad over 3 litres ( spacial ) of starting ingredients raw in the pan. At least Julian clearly shows the desired consistency in the vid! Something very helpful and which cannot be described in a book ( like the 'smell' ).

Hope this makes sense. Not at my best at this time of the day. Must end though by saying that the vid and book are far better read / watched in conjunction with each other.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:54 AM by RubyDoo »

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Another point just occurred to me. You double the starting 'level' of veg in the pan with water not the level it has reduced to after first boil as you suggest. Big difference.  :)

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!!!!!!

Now I have woken up properly - Phil  - I think you are looking at a different video and indeed I was looking at the same one as you to start with.

ie  this  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4oIVzfQZ4

Much clearer within the latest links from v4 of the ebook.

Links removed so as not to get CRO in any trouble.

Apologies for not recognising this earlier. Could have saved a lot of needless typing by both of us and also prevented confusing others perhaps.

Off now to do a 3.25 litre batch in my 7 l pan to produce around 6.25 litres of finished base.  ;)  :o :-*
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:07 PM by RubyDoo »

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Hope I am allowed to post those links. If not then hopefully somebody will put me right and I will remove or admin can.

EDIT.   Sorted.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:50 PM by RubyDoo »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Another point just occurred to me. You double the starting 'level' of veg in the pan with water not the level it has reduced to after first boil as you suggest. Big difference.  :)
Big difference indeed, but that is not what Levitish says.  His exact words are :

... take the equal quantity of your your gravy mixture as blended and then add the same amount of water to it, then you'll end up with this amount.  Now ...

Now I have woken up properly - Phil  - I think you are looking at a different video and indeed I was looking at the same one as you to start with.

Agreed.

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Big difference indeed, but that is not what Levitish says.  His exact words are :

... take the equal quantity of your your gravy mixture as blended and then add the same amount of water to it, then you'll end up with this amount.  Now ...

Agreed.

** Phil.

You have lost me again. Who is Levitish and where is this said? Save me going through all the vids again. ;)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2013, 11:47 AM »
RD,

Levitish = Julian

:)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2013, 11:55 AM »
You have lost me again. Who is Levitish and where is this said? Save me going through all the vids again. ;)

"Leviteish" is Julian's YouTube name, and the statement occurs at 4:30 in the first video you cite :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5x4oIVzfQZ4

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07 PM »

"Leviteish" is Julian's YouTube name, and the statement occurs at 4:30 in the first video you cite :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5x4oIVzfQZ4

** Phil.

Understood and got it Phil. Ta. Really doesn' t help does it because that 1st video hardly bears any resemblance to what he does in the 1st of the three linked to v4. Especially adding spices before or after water / blending.

Think I will rest on this one. Hope Chris is taking note of all this..  ;)

Back to my base on the stove now.

©2024 Curry Recipes