Author Topic: Anyone tried Julian's base yet?  (Read 73608 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried Julian's base yet? (veeering OT)
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Think I will rest on this one. Hope Chris is taking note of all this..  ;)
Agreed.  I will do likewise.

Back to my base on the stove now.
Made what I had hoped would be an exceptionally nice Madras yesterday, having (for the first time) used a potli ka masala in the base (later transferred to the pulao rice).  Sadly had yet another senior moment and put in three tablespoonsful of Bolsts rather than three teaspoonsful : result -- a considerably thicker curry than I would have wished.  Sigh.

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Think I will rest on this one. Hope Chris is taking note of all this..  ;)
Agreed.  I will do likewise.

Back to my base on the stove now.
Made what I had hoped would be an exceptionally nice Madras yesterday, having (for the first time) used a potli ka masala in the base (later transferred to the pulao rice).  Sadly had yet another senior moment and put in three tablespoonsful of Bolsts rather than three teaspoonsful : result -- a considerably thicker curry than I would have wished.  Sigh.

** Phil.

Oh dear. At least  Bolsts not too hot  ;). Trying a combined version of Julian's base here at the mo. smells good, which is worrying as a base should not in my opinion smell this good unless it is from Glasgow of course.  ;) ;). Will update once watered down and blended. On 30 minute cook right now.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Oh dear. At least  Bolsts not too hot  ;). Trying a combined version of Julian's base here at the mo. smells good, which is worrying as a base should not in my opinion smell this good unless it is from Glasgow of course.  ;) ;).

Strangely enough, exactly the opposite thought occurred to me after O/D'ing on the Bolsts : There has to be an optimal ratio of powdered spice:base (for any given base) which yields the perfect consistency; so if one wants to create a curry with additional flavour, one cannot add additional powdered spice because the resulting sauce will be too thick.  So the only way to achieve additional flavour is to infuse it into the base in the first place.  WDYT, Ruby ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:09 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried Julian's base yet?
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Hope I am allowed to post those links. If not then hopefully somebody will put me right and I will remove or admin can.

Lets hope Julian doesn't see the links you have put up, you may find yourself  in court (copyright)  :-X

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2013, 12:42 PM »
Hope I am allowed to post those links. If not then hopefully somebody will put me right and I will remove or admin can.

Lets hope Julian doesn't see the links you have put up, you may find yourself  in court (copyright)  :-X

Exactly why I asked.  Many of his vids are open to all to view on youtube. Just do a search. What I do not know is whether some in the book can be posted or not. Again over to admin or moderator for advice. As far as court goes, best of luck.  ;)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2013, 12:53 PM »

Exactly why I asked.  Many of his vids are open to all to view on youtube. Just do a search. What I do not know is whether some in the book can be posted or not. Again over to admin or moderator for advice. As far as court goes, best of luck.  ;)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11 PM »
That is appreciated. One link left as globally available. I have modified the original post so as no to bring CRO into any disrepute and in the thus far absence of the requested guidance by admin or mod etc.  ;) likewise not wishing to upset Julian.  ;)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40 PM »
Technically, you are not redistributing any content unless you download it and upload it again ... Posting a link to an already existant video is not redistribution.

But that's a moot point ;)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Technically, you are not redistributing any content unless you download it and upload it again ... Posting a link to an already existant video is not redistribution.

But that's a moot point ;)

Thank you Stonecut. Hence my comment regarding 'best of luck re court' but for the sake of keeping the peace all around and not side tracking the thread I thought it best to remove the three ' offending ' links and no point in getting embroiled in distribution or redistribution either.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes