Author Topic: Anyone tried Julian's base yet?  (Read 73618 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried Julian's base yet?
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Gottcha. Thought i'd battle with the gravy once more and see what happened.  Worse case scenario, average  home cooked curry for lunch tomorrow.   Not sure what went wrong on Saturday  ??? but it all went very well tonight  ;D.  Put the base on the boil and cooked for another 10 mins and got some oil separation -  good sign and the base was seeming to thicken - even better :D
Followed CBM's recipe but cooked it Zaal style with "singeing".  Within a minute i knew this was going to work ;D Only the 2nd jalfrezi i've cooked and what a lovely little number it is.

The taste of the curry is amazing and i will be having this little beauty a lot more.  I've got to give it 8 / 10 for flavour and it can't all be down to the recipe ingredients.  The base must be playing its part too.  Full post here:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5965.msg72723;topicseen#msg72723

Next up has to be Julian's jalfrezi for a comparison I think.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Well, we ended up cooking Chewys 3 hour base, but did it in the new pressure cooker in 35 min's.

A couple of mates turned up later and we rustled up a balti, dopiaza and a bhuna. We were all unanimous in that they were the best curry you could get in Australia.

I think my quest is over. It's the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it scenario." I think the presure cooker made a huge difference. The sauce was sweeter than normal, and obviously a lot of the goodness in the ingredients are retained by having a shorter cooking time.

I'll be sticking to this one............I think ???

Julians pillau rice is EXCELLENT. I've cooked this a few times now (in the rice cooker after the frying stage, I just add an extra 1/2 cup of water) and it really is bang on.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Theres no pressure when cooking with a pressure cooker :D
Its easy

Currymonster3194

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Hi,
I've just followed the Curry2go base gravy recipe on page 37 of Julian's ebook
Followed it to the letter, I have noticed though how he asks for 4 or 5 chunks of root ginger on page 37 but then asks for 3 or 4 chunks of root ginger again in the spices list on the next page page 38!

When you look at the YouTube links for the same recipe he doesn't add the 2 doses of ginger and also adds the palm sugar at the end of cooking(not mentioned in the book)

Is it me being dumb here or a misprint

Cheers

Steve

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Not dumb mate, just observant.  Another little glitch I think :)

One question though, regarding
" 4 - 5 2 inch chunks of root ginger"
Is this literally 5 pieces of ginger of 2" in length or are we talking about 4-5 slices of the stuff, as shown in the video which is considerably less?  i'm a bit hesitant to add the former ;D

I asked the same question in another thread CM.  No answer as yet.  I certainly didn't see any "chunks" of ginger in the vids, only some slices of the stuff which is what i think Julian meant.  Otherwise it would be a rather ginger tasting base :o
I went with 5 slices of the stuff in the end.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2012, 06:04 PM »
I would say it's a definite "typo"

To be honest, I've started using jarred ginger and garlic paste (something I NEVER would have done when I was cooking curry BEFORE I had found this site. IE cooking curry without a base gravy) and I really cannot spot the difference between fresh and bottled.

If it's gonna be "boiled " up in a base gravy, the difference between fresh and jarred stuff will be unrecognisable  IMHO.

Currymonster3194

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys
I went half way in the end...... So if we ever meet up I don't want anyone call me ginger.... Honest :-)

Cheers

Steve

Currymonster3194

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Well,

I got the Curry2go ebook yesterday and today devoted the whole day to sourcing some recommended ingredients which I didn't already own
Made 24 portions of  the Curry2go base mix which I'm happy with
The Vindaloo I made from the book resembled a Pataks Vindaloo I can only put this down to the whole lemon juice
As for the addition of fresh Methinks leaves I can't understand how this makes a difference
This is my second Vindaloo in 2 days I must admit CoryAnders Vindaloo which I made last night for the 8th time remains the KING of all currys which I have made over 30 years

Offline riddel

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2012, 01:51 PM »
i got his e-book 2 weeks ago. 1st time its a bit of an ordeal. you have to make the spiced oil, then you make the mixed powder, then you get to make the base gravy. it turned out very good. my wifes baned me from the kitchen.
regards Rod (Down under)

Currymonster3194

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2012, 11:16 PM »
After giving it a fair try I feel the n
Book offers nothing really as this site does
The curry2go base sauce recipe was not as good as CA's base sauce IMO

©2024 Curry Recipes