Author Topic: How I Make Curries  (Read 5635 times)

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How I Make Curries
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 06:17 PM »
I believe this oil is used in the cooking of onion bhajis/somosas/precooking peppers/onions and some of the harder precooked veg this would then pick up some of the spicing from the oil rather than reclaimng from curry gravy?

Gary, Think you might be onto something here. I recently came home, walked into the kitchen where the aroma was identical to a BIR. My wife had made some chips in the deep fat fryer for the kids earlier that day - I'd previously used the fryer to make pakora. I can definately see BIRs using this as an abundant source of oil. I also spotted an in an open plan BIR the chef deep frying green peppers. He also used the same fryer oil to coat Chicken Tikka while it was sitting on the cast iron sizzler (on a gas burner)- it aids the sizzle as they present it to the table (and probably the taste although I had't considered this before)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 11:14 PM »
hiya
just finished chicken vindaloo and naan bread fantastic. i made a sauce lastnite it was half scaleish of rajvers which i have posted. but 1 thing i was short of was veg oil. but the day before i made some Gits onion bhajis (not enough onion too much batter ratio but i had not disposed of the oil so i thouhgt to use it in my base.made vinadloo lastnite using it very good but too fresh. but left it on side to cool overnight put it in fridge when i got up @3.30 this morning made the vindaloo tonight and oh my god fantastic texture and taste lastnight you could sort of smell the onion bhajis too much but this mellowed. tonight to cook with i did use fresh oil. didnot matter.  ;D ;D

regards gary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 03:11 AM »
Appears that this is just yet another instance where either the base sauce or prepared curry is best left for at least 24 hrs before serving . Much like red wine , once uncorked and left to breathe , the flavors are left to both mingle and mature . Ahhhh....life is good !!! :D :D

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 04:09 AM »
Hi Gary -
Based on experience , I would strongly suggest that you try Darth's base sauce . The layering of flavors is of ultimate importance when creating the " taste ". Rajvers is close  , but certainly not a contender when achieving that taste . A balance must be struck in order to maintain both the flavor of the base and the spices / herbs added . One must compliment the other without overwhelming the end result . A harmony of flavor must be achieved by both the spice/herbs - base - heat , in order to create a satisfactory result . There are a number of base sauces on this forum - stand-alone  , they are all quite good ! Try them all , but let them rest for 24 hrs and then taste them again....the result should be obvious...or not !!

OMGILCC (OH MY GOD I LOVE COOKING CURRY )  :D :D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 03:10 PM »
Thanks CC for your continued support.
After talking further with my fave local Take-away  ;) I sincerely believe that my base is 100% correct, i recommend to anyone who hasn't tried it to do so.
Although I've yet to discern the 100% correct ingredients to the final stage,but I'm still working on it  ;D,they wont accept ?15 per hour for cookery lessons  :( i am preppared to raise the offer my friends  8).
Although i really do believe it is an ingredient like a seasoning or flavor enhancer that gives that strong smell we all crave.
I can now see what some of you mean by tasting chilli powder in the hotter curries after visiting a different BIR, again my fave local can make a blisteringly hot Tindalloo but you will not taste any Chilli powder at all, just a lot of heat, which emanates from the Chunks of Chicken in a most ferocious way,I'm wondering if they use one of the extra hot concentrates to gain heat & yet keep the flavor as there is a massive difference between this & the BIR that uses Chilli powder in their Phall (Chicken Phall don't you mean Chilli powder Phall !!! ).
I have some more ideas (experiment time !!!) which I'm going to try over the next month. 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes