Author Topic: Tortilla de Patatas  (Read 1962 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tortilla de Patatas
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Tortilla de patatas

I always make one of these when i get fresh eggs from the farm up the road.(ex mother-in-law)
 NO OTHER EGGS COME CLOSE!
The yolks are Always huge, no matter what size the egg. Always a deep yellow. And the best flavour you'll ever taste.
She even has a letter from David Cameron saying they were the best eggs he'd ever eaten.  ;)
She sells from the side of the road with an honesty box and to a couple of b&b's. (where the PM had them, before he was appointed)

6 eggs
6 medium sized potatoes
1/2 onion small dice
2 big pinches salt
4 tbsp olive oil
NEVER ADD PEPPER

Since watching my old spanish guitar player making them i've always cut my potatoes in the hand,(blade to thumb)

So.......

Break the eggs into a bowl and add the salt.
whisk with a fork and leave to one side.

Peel the potatoes and slice into very small slivers. mine usually come out like little flat pyramids/wedges about 1 inch x 1/4 inch.
I did used to add straight to the frying pan but i found this was a better method by steaming them for 10 mins first.

Pre-heat the grill to high.
Steam the sliced potatoes for 10 mins.
Take an 8" non-stick frying pan.
Heat on med, add 3 tbsp olive oil and the onion.
Fry for a few mins then add the potatoes.
Fry until onion is soft and the potatoes just start to colour on the edges.
Tip the potato mixture into the eggs and stir with the fork.

Turn the heat up
Add the remaining oil to the pan and back in with the egg and potato mixture.
DO NOT fry for more than 1 minute or the thing will taste like an english omlette.
Shake the pan a bit while you fry to bring the thing together and stop the sides sticking.

Transfer the pan to the hot grill for another min or two.
You should remove while it still feels soft with a prod of your finger because it will set up firmer.
(you dont want a hard tortilla. it should still be slightly soft when cold)
Put a plate on top and use a teatowel or oven gloves to hold the plate and pan to flip over.

Et voila.  ;)

Cheers, Frank.

p.s. i did start writing this in the non curry specialities thread but feared it might get lost.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:13 PM by DalPuri »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tortilla de Patatas
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Tortilla de patatas

I always make one of these when i get fresh eggs from the farm up the road.(ex mother-in-law)
 NO OTHER EGGS COME CLOSE!
The yolks are Always huge, no matter what size the egg. Always a deep yellow. And the best flavour you'll ever taste.
She even has a letter from David Cameron saying they were the best eggs he'd ever eaten.  ;)
She sells from the side of the road with an honesty box and to a couple of b&b's. (where the PM had them, before he was appointed)

6 eggs
6 medium sized potatoes
1/2 onion small dice
2 big pinches salt
4 tbsp olive oil
NEVER ADD PEPPER

Since watching my old spanish guitar player making them i've always cut my potatoes in the hand,(blade to thumb)

So.......

Break the eggs into a bowl and add the salt.
whisk with a fork and leave to one side.

Peel the potatoes and slice into very small slivers. mine usually come out like little flat pyramids/wedges about 1 inch x 1/4 inch.
I did used to add straight to the frying pan but i found this was a better method by steaming them for 10 mins first.

Pre-heat the grill to high.
Steam the sliced potatoes for 10 mins.
Take an 8" non-stick frying pan.
Heat on med, add 3 tbsp olive oil and the onion.
Fry for a few mins then add the potatoes.
Fry until onion is soft and the potatoes just start to colour on the edges.
Tip the potato mixture into the eggs and stir with the fork.

Turn the heat up
Add the remaining oil to the pan and back in with the egg and potato mixture.
DO NOT fry for more than 1 minute or the thing will taste like an english omlette.
Shake the pan a bit while you fry to bring the thing together and stop the sides sticking.

Transfer the pan to the hot grill for another min or two.
You should remove while it still feels soft with a prod of your finger because it will set up firmer.
(you dont want a hard tortilla. it should still be slightly soft when cold)
Put a plate on top and use a teatowel or oven gloves to hold the plate and pan to flip over.

Et voila.  ;)

Cheers, Frank.

p.s. i did start writing this in the non curry specialities thread but feared it might get lost.  ;)

A few pictures would go well with this lovely sounding dish.....

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05 PM »
I'll add some pics next time i get some eggs  ;)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:16 PM »
Wow someone making the same

Here

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Nice one Rich  :D
More colour than mine. I'm not so keen on the flavour when browned too much and i like to keep it very soft.
 I would still eat it ALL though.
 ;D

Its the only time i ever cut anything this way. Rolling the potato around in the hand nicking bits off.
 I think it helps for a softer tortilla and keeps all the pieces even and thin. Sometimes even going to a mash when cooked.
And possibly because i like to whittle  ;D

Frank.  ;)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:39 AM »
Frank when i was in Madrid for a bit - the Tortillas were made both chunky and thinly cut - the thinly cut ones were made using a mandolin cutting tool - they were really thin cuts and slithers of onion - lovely

best, Rich

Offline nacercuisine

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:59 AM »

The secret of tortilla is:

the potato should be cut into strips very finnes, so it is flexible. Fry in olive oil without browning.  Filter and then add eggs, and salt. You can add the onion  in the end when you fry pototos.  Heat oil in pan and put the half of pototos put if you want fish, cheese or any thing you want and add the other half of pototos.  Cook until  that it is golden brown, cook the other side with the help of a plate plate. and enjoy in your meal. Bon app?tit

©2024 Curry Recipes