Author Topic: Low fat oil  (Read 1186 times)

Currymonster3194

Low fat oil
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Hi,
I'm really concerned about the amount of oil used to create the perfect curry and curry base, but do realise how necessary it is.
I bought some of that Flora Cuisine oil the other day and used it for the first time tonight in a stir fry. I noticed as I was using it just how much it resembled vegetable Gee which I used years ago. I notice per 100ml just how much less calories and saturated fat there is in Flora Cuisine in comparison to Flora Sunflower oil that I normally use in Curry sauce and base.
Has anyone else tried this oil and maybe you have other alternatives you could suggest.  I'm interested in lowering the calories and fat given the amount of curry I like to consume :)

Steve

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Low fat oil
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Hi Currymonster3194, I use Flora sunflower oil with no obvious side effects  :-\

Regards
ELW

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55 PM »
I love the subject of fats and oils. There is no low calorie oil or fat, they are all the same.
The reason Flora Cuisine appears to have less calories is that it contains water!

Thats why the instructions say wait until the bubbles have stopped before you start to fry - what a joke!
Also it has to kept in the fridge to avoid going rancid!

Despite what people may say, you can use a good quality refined light olive oil and you won't get a funny taste from it in your curries. Obviously stay clear of virgin, extra-virgin etc.

Cheers,

Paul

PS: Flora Cuisine ingredients:

Vegetable Oils (Sunflower Seed Oil, Rapeseed Oil, Linseed Oil),Water ,Salt (0.9%) ,Emulsifiers (Soy Bean Lecithin, Polysorbate 60) ,Soy Protein ,Stabilisers (Guar and Xanthan Gums) ,Colour (Beta-Carotene) ,Preservative (Potassium Sorbate) ,Citric Acid ,Flavourings ,Vitamins (A, D)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:06 PM »
I've started buying Palm Oil, it says on the bottle, "No Cholestrol" but it does not say what the calorific value is..

Apart from that though, it is a reddish colour which gives my curries a nice natural colour which negates the use of food colouring :)

©2024 Curry Recipes