Author Topic: CBM Little India Base Gravy  (Read 34357 times)

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CBM Little India Base Gravy
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 02:43 AM »
Hi Aussie Mick,

Thanks, I'll have a look for those brands, haven't seen them at the two that I normally go to. They carry the Mothers and Ashoka brands but don't have the Kashmiri masala in either of them either nor the Tikka.

If the restaurant did make their own Red Masala from scratch would be great not having to rely on the pastes too.

I'll keep search for those pastes, thanks again,
Mark

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 02:51 AM »
OOps, yes sorry Mark, I can't find a Kashmiri Masala over here either. I use just a tad of kebab paste. Everyone who has had my Balti or any other curry that has the "magic" sauce in, loves it. Make do and mend, or improvise...that's my philosophy.

I've even made the sauce with just the Pataks tandoori paste and it's still good.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 02:58 AM »
They carry the Mothers and Ashoka brands but don't have the Kashmiri masala in either of them either nor the Tikka.

Hi Mark,

Yes I like the Ashoka brand pastes. They do make a tikka paste, (I just checked in my fridge) so keep looking, or maybe ask them to order it in.

We're quite lucky here, our local IGA stocks Ashoka pastes.  :D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Great work again, CBM, and as others have said it's great to see a base cooked from scratch by a BIR chef.

As has been pointed out many times before, each chef will have his own tweaks and tricks, but it's especially refreshing to see that in terms of method and technique there are no surprises (by that I mean nothing that hasn't been covered on this forum, in your book and others, etc). Discussions about slow-cooked vs fast boiled onions and the bhagaring stage will no doubt continue! 

In terms of ingredients, the moong dhal was new to me, and I was surprised that he revealed the much guarded 'secret' though, and shall be stocking up on Carnation condensed milk today!  ;)

Keep up the great work - I've really enjoyed these Little India videos.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 11:30 AM »

In terms of ingredients, the moong dhal was new to me, and I was surprised that he revealed the much guarded 'secret' though, and shall be stocking up on Carnation condensed milk today!  ;)

Evaporated SD,  ;)  Not the Lenny Henry sandwich filler  ;D

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 12:01 PM »
They carry the Mothers and Ashoka brands but don't have the Kashmiri masala in either of them either nor the Tikka.

Hi Mark,

Yes I like the Ashoka brand pastes. They do make a tikka paste, (I just checked in my fridge) so keep looking, or maybe ask them to order it in.

We're quite lucky here, our local IGA stocks Ashoka pastes.  :D

Hi I live in Brisbane and I haven't seen Pataks Kashmiri paste or Tikka paste. I have found Tikka masala paste but I don't know if it could be used instead of Tikka paste for marinading? 
I wonder if Coles would add these pastes and others from Pataks to their import order as they do import Pataks, Iron Brew, Weetabix and the likes? I don't know who I would write to though?

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Well Done Mick.
Thanks for taking the time and sharing this honest video on cR0.

A good base with the Chef's own personal touch and preferences.

Just a confirmation that the information shared by myself
Abdul Mohed, Az at Zaal, ifindforyou and yourself is sound advice.

Moong Dhal in his base, very interesting touch.
I wonder if he has Masoor Dhal in his Onion Bhajis, I still do. ;)

Cheers Chewy

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Hi CBM great video, just a query when the ingredients appear on the screen for the "new" base gravy recipe, 35-40 onions, then you type that the other pot with onions, garlic/ginger from last night is added, does that mean that this recipe has 70-80 onions in the whole recipe for the restaurants service for that night or is the 35-40 onions is the scaled down version, so to speak.
Also how much water is added to the base and the Akhani stock.
Another question, sorry, at about 11.48 the chef adds some liquid to the tomato, oil and mix powder in the pot what is it?
Cheers.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Hi CBM great video, just a query when the ingredients appear on the screen for the "new" base gravy recipe, 35-40 onions, then you type that the other pot with onions, garlic/ginger from last night is added, does that mean that this recipe has 70-80 onions in the whole recipe for the restaurants service for that night or is the 35-40 onions is the scaled down version, so to speak.
Another question, sorry, at about 11.48 the chef adds some liquid to the tomato, oil and mix powder in the pot what is it?
Cheers.

Thanks SD and Chewy,

Hi Unclefrank,
He started the first pot with the 35-40 knowing that he was going to add the second pot so 70-80 would be correct.
The amount of water isn't critical, there was enough to just about cover the first lot. The Akhni stock would have started with about .75 litre but again not critical to be exact.
At just before 11:48 he added more water that was to rinse out the gravy that was left in the original pot. (if that is what you are referring to)
Cheers,
Mick

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Cheers.

Thanks SD and Chewy,

Hi Unclefrank,
He started the first pot with the 35-40 knowing that he was going to add the second pot so 70-80 would be correct.
The amount of water isn't critical, there was enough to just about cover the first lot. The Akhni stock would have started with about .75 litre but again not critical to be exact.
At just before 11:48 he added more water that was to rinse out the gravy that was left in the original pot. (if that is what you are referring to)
Cheers,
Mick

I'm just wondering if this recipe could be scaled down? I don't think even I could store that much base sauce.I suppose the tricky part is getting the spices in proportion so the gravy is not overspiced.The akhini stock looks very fragrant,I brought some black cardamons but I don't think I've ever used them.The evaporated milk is a new one to me,never seen that in a base before.

©2024 Curry Recipes