Author Topic: A short converstion with a BIR chef!  (Read 2363 times)

Offline broon-loon

• Chef
    • View Profile
A short converstion with a BIR chef!
« on: March 25, 2006, 10:29 PM »
Hi folks, hope you are all well.

I apologise if this has been debated previously, but-

I recently had a conversation with a chef from a BIR takeaway with the aim of trying to get a few hints (or secrets)!

I didn't want to be over pushy, so I firstly asked him to confirm the use if a base sauce (which he did), and would this sauce be used for all the dishes, ie from Korma to Vindaloo and he said yes!
I then asked if he made this sauce regularly and he said that for the weekend he would need a fresh batch each evening, but during the week it could last a couple of days, but would need re-boiled each day before use.
He said there was no secret ingredients, but that it was made in large quantities and that was a factor in the final outcome.
He then added that he used a 'Bouqet Garni' technique to get the taste from the cinnamon and cardamon into the sauce, but without having to remove the leftovers, before blending.
He then said he would add 'powders' to make each individual style of curry.

I would have loved to ask more but it became obvious he was extremely busy so I then left with our order.

Any thoughts on this 'Bouqet Garni', and could this be a/the secret?
All we need is a mesh container or similar(an old sock), filled with whole spices which infuse the taste and dangle it in the 'base mixture while it cooks.

I would love to hear your feedback on this, whether its old hat and been tried, or if it might lead to greater things in our BIR attempts.

Long live Curry.

Eric

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: A short converstion with a BIR chef!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:00 PM »
I have both seen and used the " Bouquet Garni '' technique in a number of recipes . I found that it did not make an appreciable difference to the taste . I feel that whatever the BIR chefs are doing to create the taste is probably very subtle and consistently reproducible from dish to dish . Kidnapping a chef may be an option . ;)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 07:15 AM »
Hi Eric, thanks for the report very interesting, its exactly this kind of thing we need more of on this site.

I dont think the Bouqet Garni would make any difference to the flavours, just easier to retrieve before pureeing the base.I find it hard enough to fish out all the whole spices before pureeing 4 litres of base so I guess the BIR's would find it doubly difficult in their huge pots. I believe the kushi balti book also uses this technique.

cheers

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 09:17 AM »
Hi Mark
          that Kushi cook book had whole spices in muslin
I thought that he had "domesticated" the recipe
Maybe that is something that really do
I must admit, I never find all the whole spices before blending
Some seem to disappear!

©2024 Curry Recipes